Question Totally dead after swapping DIMMs

lmacmil

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Mobo is Asus B150M, Windows Pro 1903, 8GB Kingston HyperX RAM. I got some replacement RAM from a warranty claim (the Kingston lifetime warranty works!) and decided to put it in my system. The RAM was slightly different speed and latency from what I had installed (2666mhz vs 2133mhz, CL15 vs CL14) and with all 4 sticks in, I got nothing, not a beep, no lights, nothing. Pulled out the replacement DIMMs (the 2133mhz sticks) and the system booted again and ran fine. Yesterday I decided to test the 2133mhz RAM by itself and make sure it was good before putting it on Ebay. Pulled the 2666 DIMMs, installed the 2133 DIMMs and again, nothing! Pulled the 2133 and reinstalled the 2666 and again, nothing. I thought maybe the power switch on the case was flaky so I pulled the connector and shorted the power switch pins but that did nothing also. Do you think it's possible my PSU gave up the ghost coincidentally with the DIMM swap? Or is something else going on? I pulled one DIMM and that didn't fix it, I have not yet removed all the RAM to see if I at least get a beep. FWIW, the PSU is an EVGA 500w unit and it's been fine for 3+ years. My system is lightly loaded, using Intel onboard video, Pentium G4500, one M.2 SSD and one hard disk and one DVD ROM and runs anywhere from 3 to 5 hours/day.

A very old model, but safe enough to try to boot the system with.

I'd try clearing the CMOS and then trying the other PSU.

Are you trolling? CS450 is not "very old". It was introduced in 2013. It has an LLC resonant front end with DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V... which makes it a lot better than many of the PSUs people on these forums tend to recommend and sure as hell better than his EVGA PSU.

2013 is old in the tech industry. They are good units, but a bit old for my liking.

Like i said, perfectly fine to boot. Since he said it has few hours on it it would be a good unit for that system.

If it had been abused for 5 years, maybe not.

Last edited:
2013 is old in the tech industry. They are good units, but a bit old for my liking.

Like i said, perfectly fine to boot. Since he said it has few hours on it it would be a good unit for that system.

If it had been abused for 5 years, maybe not.

Yet people are still recommending group regulated, double forward Seasonic S12II and M12II PSUs that lack OPP and OCP from TEN YEARS+ ago and that's ok.

The main reason those are reccomend is this:

The Seasonic S12ii /M12ii are available in many places in the world where no better units are easily obtainable. Some of the only other units available are corsair VS or worse no-name units.
They are pretty old and not great at all, but they are the best some people can get.

lmacmil

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
That will work perfectly. WAY BETTER PSU than your EVGA. Is it in another PC or something? Why aren't you using it in the first place?
I don't remember. I think I had the Corsair in an old case and got a new case and the EVGA at the same time so it was easier to install the EVGA than to remove the Corsair. Eventually got rid of the old case and just set the Corsair on a shelf. Probably has no more than 2000 hours on it. My systems have always been lightly loaded so I guess I never paid much attention to power supply specs. The power supply calculators say I need less than 300w.

lmacmil

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
The CS is a better quality unit. If it hasn't been used much its definitely a better bet.

It's worth the effort to put the CS450 in and try to boot.
Installed the CS450 today and it turned on and I guess it booted but I don't know because I had no video! My monitor said no signal from either the VGA or DVI output (I had been using DVI). I'm using the Intel on-board video from the B150 chipset and Pentium G4500. I had an old Nvidia Quadro around that I know is good, put that in and same thing! I started a new thread in the Graphics card forum to continue the troubleshooting.

Edit: discovered one of my DIMMs was not fully seated. Got it in right and got the video back!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS