[SOLVED] Totally need help

Sep 15, 2019
My son's laptop did an abnormal shut down after doing an update. Now since, i just get the Lenovo logo coming up. I did talk with someone to help me. And what he had told me to do, didn't quite work out. Well, I worked on it by myself and now at a standstill. If anyone could direct me on what next I should be doing, I would greatly appreciate it.

This is where I am now. Doing a clean install.. Not worried about saving anything, just want his laptop up and running.

Got to the windows setup..asking where do we want to install windows. Did my research and I am confused. Some say to delete all partitions and some say no. I have 6 partitions showing up in the list and have no idea what I should be deleting or not at this point. Any help would be awesome.. Thank you.

Solution
that error can be caused by:
the USB drive you are using, so try making an installer on another USB drive
It can be a ram problem. Some people have fixed this by removing ram sticks and only having 1 installed

Depending on how proficient you are, I would be tempted to get Lenovo to fix it for you. I don't know how easy it is to remove the ram sticks.

you might also need to run memtest on the ram to make sure they are okay. Would need another PC/USB stick to make it though - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the errors. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

There are other causes for that error, its not just 1 fix...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi LearningAsIgo,

We could walk you through it but here is a step-by-step guide WITH pictures. :) You'll have to scroll down several pages until you get to: Windows 10 Clean Installation If you are using a different version of Windows, let us know so we can link to it as well. Typically, though not always, you can just delete the other partitions so that you have 1 main one. Sometimes you may see 2, 1 SMALL partition which has temp files from the Windows installation with the 1 remaining partition being the primary partition ( C:\ ) At this time you can also set extra partitions if desired to just have 1 main one.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Reactions: Colif
Sep 15, 2019
Hi LearningAsIgo,

We could walk you through it but here is a step-by-step guide WITH pictures. :) You'll have to scroll down several pages until you get to: Windows 10 Clean Installation If you are using a different version of Windows, let us know so we can link to it as well. Typically, though not always, you can just delete the other partitions so that you have 1 main one. Sometimes you may see 2, 1 SMALL partition which has temp files from the Windows installation with the 1 remaining partition being the primary partition ( C:\ ) At this time you can also set extra partitions if desired to just have 1 main one.
It came back as an error. Says.. Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057

Colif

Win 11 Master
It can be a ram problem. Some people have fixed this by removing ram sticks and only having 1 installed

Depending on how proficient you are, I would be tempted to get Lenovo to fix it for you. I don't know how easy it is to remove the ram sticks.

you might also need to run memtest on the ram to make sure they are okay. Would need another PC/USB stick to make it though - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the errors. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

There are other causes for that error, its not just 1 fix for all.

Solution
Sep 15, 2019

There are other causes for that error, its not just 1 fix for all.
Only the two laptops in the house, but I am sure I can find a friend who can do another USB for me. I too thought that was the problem before.. So I had deleted the windows 10 off it.. As I had already downloaded it once. Cleared the USB and did another download. Obviously something is wrong. I truly am hoping it's not the hard drive.. That is why I am trying to do this on my own.. With very little.. Almost next to no knowledge in all of this... Just going by reading and research. So the help am receiving now.. Is much appreciated.