Touble installing and formatting seagate Barracuda 1tb hdd

raykat

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I just built a new system consisting of a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK,Core I7-4790K,Gigabyte NVidia Geforce GTX760,8 gigs of G.Skill RipJaws,Samsung 250gig Evo 840 SSD and a seagate barracuda 1tb HDD
Everything seemed ok till i tried to install and format the baracuda.When i install it windows sees it but when i try to format it i get an error 15 message back and it dissapears from windows.if i reboot windows it starts acting a little wonky.For example running my mouse over the bottom left corner windows start button doesn't highlight it or engage it.if I try to open hidden items in the task bar when it pulls up it starts blinking wildly...stuff like that.If i power down,unhook the drive and restart,every thing is ok.
I'm thinking this may be a controller,driver issue as opposed to a hardware thing but I'm not sure.
Right now I have the drive hooked up and it shows up in Device manager and it shows like it's cool and working properly,but it doesn't show up in file explorer or the bios.So I'm kind of at a lost.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
RaYKaT

Solution
Here's an obscure one to check. Your HDD is 1 TB, so it does not REQUIRE use of a GPT-type Partitioning system (not MBR). BUT you can use it anyway if you choose to. Did you?

The reason for the question is that Microsoft has provided device drivers for GPT-type Partitioned devices ONLY for the 64-bit versions of Windows. So, if you installed a 32-bit version of Windows it will not be able to deal with a GPT-style Partitioned HDD. If that is the case, you have two choices:
1. Start over and re-Install Windows, but use a 64-bit version; or,
2. Find that HDD in Disk Management, RIGHT-click on the Partitions it does contain and delete all of them. Now RIGHT-click on the Unallocated Space and choose to Create a New Simple Volume again, but...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For a brand new empty HDD you cannot just Format it. First, you need to Create a Partition on it, THEN you can Format the Partition.

Even easier, BOTH steps can be done for you using Windows' built-in utility, Disk Management. To get to it, Click on Start ... Control Panel ... Administrative Tools ... Computer Management ... Disk Management. Read WyomingKnott's sticky near the top of this forum, here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system

with special attention to his Step 5. From your post it appears that this 1 TB HDD is for data only, and will NOT be used to boot from. Thus, the Partition being Created does NOT need to be bootable, although it will be a Primary Partition. When the New Volume creation is finished, beck out of Disk Management etc. and reboot so Windows can update its Registry.

raykat

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah.Did all that.It sgoes up in the bios,shows up in disc management as healthy,but doesn't show up in file explorer...not sure...thinking it's a controller issue,driver issue.My room mate thinks I should hook my old drive up to see if that works at all ...just frustratded...raykat

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's an obscure one to check. Your HDD is 1 TB, so it does not REQUIRE use of a GPT-type Partitioning system (not MBR). BUT you can use it anyway if you choose to. Did you?

The reason for the question is that Microsoft has provided device drivers for GPT-type Partitioned devices ONLY for the 64-bit versions of Windows. So, if you installed a 32-bit version of Windows it will not be able to deal with a GPT-style Partitioned HDD. If that is the case, you have two choices:
1. Start over and re-Install Windows, but use a 64-bit version; or,
2. Find that HDD in Disk Management, RIGHT-click on the Partitions it does contain and delete all of them. Now RIGHT-click on the Unallocated Space and choose to Create a New Simple Volume again, but this time be sure to tell it to use MBR style.

Solution