Touch Typing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I have been typing for quite a few years now, so much so I use like 3 fingers on each hand. I kinda know the keyboard of by heart but I *really* want to learn to touch type because as a programmer and electronics engineering student it would be so helpful.

I have a few questions:
1. How long will it take for me to learn roughly? I think I am gonna have trouble breaking old habits.
2. Can anyone recommend me a good program that explains everything clearly. I am not computer literate but I need to start from the basics to try and break my old typing habits.

Julian

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
theres nothing to explain, you just have to be comfortable typing and not looking at the keyboard. it really is just a bad habbit you have to kick. i learned to touch type by chatting on the internet. if you have to keep reading the conversation while typing what you have to say you will very soon start touch typing. another way is to watch tv or listen to the radio and try to type things that are said. it doesnt matter if you keep making mistakes, the point is to get used to typing while not looking at the keys

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Yeah I dont like look at the keyboard, I like just have my eyes on the keyboard but I am not like saying "now where is M" etc.....I kinda just type. But it is hard and I have a laptop so it is difficult to learn on I guess. Like any habit it is going to take some time!

And I found a site that did like touch typing stuff but it is random strings of letters and it recommended just what you do. (Listen to the TV or copy articles from the newspaper and such). But the thing is I can type faster looking at the keyboard than not. I have the disadvantage that most of the people I know were taught age 12 to touchtype and now I am much older. I guess it will just take time.

I also do lots of chatting online, so I guess i will get good practice....

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Try PC World. But Mavis Beacon (sounds like someone off of Coronation St or something :lol: ) is reportedly the best one.

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS