Touched my GPU and random colours?

JimmyTheDinosaur

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hi guys,
I just touched my GPU very slightly whilst the PC was on, and my monitor went all really bright colours. Like noise, but all multi coloured. The PC then shut down, I adjusted some RAM back and forth and then tried to reboot, nothing. Adjusted graphics card, tried to boot off my Mobo, nothing. Tried again, booted.
I have an R9 290, and I am a tad worried?

Solution
I mean at this point if its working fine, I guess its okay..just keep an eye on it. But in the future..DON'T touch stuff while your computer is running. Even if your computer is off..get an anti-static wrist band and ground yourself. You'll save yourself money and a lot of headache.

anthony8989

Distinguished

If you applied pressure and the contacts in the PCI-E slot bent away from the headers, you may have created a scenario for electrical arcing. If that's the case, the GPU is done for. Send it back under RMA - say you were just gaming and it randomly happened. Don't tell them that you touched it.

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
If you touch components in your PC while its on..you're gunna have a bad time.

To narrow it down to the GPU perhaps take it out completely and see if your system boots up, go down to the bare minimum needed for your computer to power on. (e.g. disconnect/remove unnecessary components.

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I mean at this point if its working fine, I guess its okay..just keep an eye on it. But in the future..DON'T touch stuff while your computer is running. Even if your computer is off..get an anti-static wrist band and ground yourself. You'll save yourself money and a lot of headache.

Solution