Jan 23, 2009
AMD Phenom 9950 BE (new)
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 (new)
ASRock A780GXE/128M (new)
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
Saphire Radeon 1950XT 256MB
Soly Tech 430watt PSU
Vista 64 Ultimate

I do not know what to do... This upgraded build can not do anything right; constant crashing in a variety of scenarios. The only OC I had that worked was having my ram at 5-5-5-18@1066, the cpu voltage at 1.285, bus at 200mhz, and multiplier at x15. Those settings were stable for everyday use but would overheat like no other (63C) on load. My video card crashes constantly on the latest ATI drivers and only works when I roll back to the one Vista found for it. I can not even play Civilization 4 for 30 minutes without crashing in some way! So, I reverted everything back to stock settings and I still get crashes. I went and messed around with cpu voltage by stepping it up one setting at a time thinking that all the crashes were related to that and it would not even post or let me in the BIOS when I went to 1.300 so I had to clear the CMOS.

My system event log is chock full of video hardware and windows failures. At this point I just want to play an old game from 2005 and not crash... Help?

XndeX

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Silly thought.

Per your original post I noticed that the system crashes after about 30 minutes of playing.
Sounds like it might be overheating somewhere.
Either the PSU or the Video card.

I would try and run the system stock no OC at all.
I would go into the BIOS and also use the timings for your memory that come up by SPD.

I know this is a no no but run the PC with the side cover off and see if it crashes then.

This will definitely show if you have an overheating problem.

Your PSU might not be strong enough also. (Soly Tech 430watt PSU)

Possibly try another one that has more wattage and is a Tier II atleast.

Just a lot of random thoughts,

Xavier

Solytech is a division of Deer. Your PSU is not designed to reliably power a computer. It would probably be better for a bug-zapper.
For your computer choose a quality PSU from a company like Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, or Seasonic. 430W should be enough, 500W would give you a little more headroom.

plainshane

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I actually overpaid for that PSU from a local computer parts store a couple years ago. A couple christmases ago I was putting the last touches on a new build and noticed my old reliable PSU did not have a 6pin PCIE connector... infuriated I rushed down and just bought whatever they had with a 6pin connector.

Yeah, I would put my bet on the PSU as well. Newegg has combo deal on a Cooler Master HAF 932 case with a 700w Cooler Master PSU $60 off. That should be good right? I expect Cooler Master makes decent power supplies.

plainshane

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Okay I am going to go with the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W and the Cooler Master HAF 932 case.

I don't necessarily need a new case but I have had this Super Flower mid-tower for about 5 years and why not get a little better cooling? Although that HAF does not look too pretty. I will update this thread with the results in a few days after they come in and I test it all out. This all really sucks right now because my Xbox 360 just RROD'ed so all that is left is a Wii to play with :(

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Yes, the powersupply is suspect. Does the MB have the latest bios? I have that CPU is yours the 125 or the 140watt model. You will need a very good cooler for the CPU. I'm myself am not too crazy about the brand of MoBo. About 20% of the reviewers at newegg had trouble with it right away. The newest bios is 1.4 there have been a couple for cpu compatibility 1.2 or less on yours then you must upgrade the bios.

plainshane

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Yes, I have the latest BIOS. The CPU is the 125watt model. I have the xigmatek HDT-S1283 and its a cooling beast. I had to remove the side fan from my case to fit the heatsink. In hindsight I probably should have just splurged for a good ASUS. After this ASRock I will never buy any motherboards but ASUS. I ordered the aforementioned PSU and case.

The Xigmatek does not cool as good as we were led to believe the 63c temp you indicated in your OC results is past the 9950 BEs heat top end, so the CPU shut down to protect itself.

The Xiggy leaves a picket fence footprint across the heatspreader, not really giving a solid overall coverage, plus if the temp causes the copper pipes to expand it can begin to lift itself off the CPU from the expansion.

Unfortunately its forced me to go back to my Tuniq Tower 120, which beats the Xiggys cooling performance in my own AMD tests, another lesson learned the hard way for me at least.

XigmatekContactFootprint.jpg

Lapping the base of the Xiggy may possibly help or make the pipe walls thinner and the expansion worse, I suggest you use a different CPU cooling solution, the HDT idea seemed like a good one, but I beleive it will be short lived.

XigmatekBase.jpg

Replacing your power supply is a good move!

plainshane

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Alright, so the PSU and case came in yesterday and it is all put together. First of all let me say that this case is fantastic - much larger than my midtower but cools like no other. My idle CPU temp has dropped from 41-44c to 32c flat. On stock CPU and RAM settings I was able to run 3DMark06 without a hitch and achieve my highest score yet. I can now infer that the video card was definitely crashing due to lack of power. I just put a light OC on the CPU and used SPD settings for the RAM; I will let yall know what the OCCT load temps are and new 3DMark06 score.

I can't believe I never thought that old Soly Tech PSU was bad! Haha this really solved all my crashing problems. I love this case; the fans are as big as my face.