Touching my cpu cooler heatsink and even my HDD gives me small shocks!

Jan 2, 2019
6
0
10
0
I have a i7-8700, MSI 7370 SLI Plus mobo, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler, a Corsair TX850M PSU, and a 2tb SeaGate FireCuda SSHD as well as other components. I installed everything how it's meant to be installed, by checking numerous online guides, my manuals and YT videos. After doing all my cable management I did a final check to see if my PC would turn on, and sure enough, it did.

The problem however is when I went to check if CPU cooler was sagging, I got a slight shock as I touched the heatsink. I didn't think this was normal, so I touched other parts of my case to see if I received any other shocks. After touching the top of my SSHD, I got a small shock as well. Just wondering if this was normal behaviour for PCs and if it isn't please suggest some troubleshooting tips to fix my problem. I checked with a tester screwdriver to see if I could get any readings on my parts, but the light didn't switch on (I was still getting shocked tho). The standoffs that I used are the ones given with my mobo, and it looks like the mobo is kept off of the case.

I live in India (220v, 50hz) and use the 3 pronged power cable given with the PSU (cable is rated 300/500v which with some very light googling I found was okay for where I live, and there is a possibility it may not be) and it is connected to an extension cord.

Please tell me if any of my parts would be damaged from the excess electricity, and the solutions to my problems. Thank you all for taking your time to read this.
 

jay32267

Distinguished
I think the number one thing that is the problem is that your system isn't grounded.
I think any other possibility is much less remote.
I think either you have a bad extension cord, you are using a two conductor cord (you need three), or your outlet isn't grounded.
 

jay32267

Distinguished
I think the number one thing that is the problem is that your system isn't grounded.
I think any other possibility is much less remote.
I think either you have a bad extension cord, you are using a two conductor cord (you need three), or your outlet isn't grounded.
 
that shock could be also comming from other extrernal devices, like monitor, tv cable line (if u using TV), network cable, printer, pretty much anything that can pass electricity
try to unplug anything external from pc, see if that does anything
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS