Question Touchpad and Mouse acting weird after startup ?

steve45

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014
I just replaced the keyboard on my MSI GS70 laptop. Surprisingly, everything works except the touchpad, and even an external mouse acts weird. The cursor jumps around erratically for the first 5 or 10 minutes after I turn on the computer, or after I wake it up from sleep regardless of which pointing device I use. After that, both will work normally. This happens when running on battery power or on AC power. Using Windows 10. The laptop worked fine before keyboard replacement.

It's a pain to turn it on and have to wait for it to decide to work.

Ralston18

Titan
Did you manually download the keyboard drivers via MSI's website? Then do your own installation and configuration?

Or perhaps use some other site and/or driver installation utility or tool?

When the computer is first turned on open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Observe what the system is doing or may be trying to do during that first 5 to 10 minutes. Then watch for what changes or stops when the weirdness ends.

My thought is that something else was slipped in along with the keyboard drivers. Some buggy, corrupt app or utility perhaps.

Check in Task Manager and Task Scheduler for some app or utility that may be trying to launch and run.

Turn off all power and screen savers. Just as a matter of elimination.

Objective being to discover more about what is happening.

steve45

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2014
Sorry, I've been traveling and couldn't view this thread.

I didn't install any drivers, I just opened it up and changed the keyboard with an identical one (works much better!)

I thought about checking the Task Manager to see what else is running, but haven't had time to do that yet. I will try it.