Question Touchpad cursor keeps moving in the same direction for a second after I stop

Nov 5, 2018
It's like the touchpad is sensing the width of my fingertip and something thinks the cursor should reach the end of the detected-surface of my fingertip before it should stop, even after I've stopped moving my finger. This isn't a normal experience with laptops. How can I go about making the cursor, like other laptops, stop when I stop my finger? To be clear, the cursor stops when I take my finger off the touchpad, but it keeps going for a second when I stop my finger and my finger is still touching the touchpad, again, like it's trying to reach the end of the detected-surface of my fingertip before it stops.

Last edited:
What laptop model is it?

Have you installed Windows yourself, or are Windows installed from manufactor?

Is this issue/behaviour new or have it being an issue from when computer was completely new?

Have you make any software changes (mouse driver, etc) to the computer ?

Nov 5, 2018
What laptop model is it?

Have you installed Windows yourself, or are Windows installed from manufactor?

Is this issue/behaviour new or have it being an issue from when computer was completely new?

Have you make any software changes (mouse driver, etc) to the computer ?
It's an Acer Aspire E 15. Windows is installed from the manufacturer. I don't know for sure whether this issue is new or if it has always existed, as I've only had the laptop for a couple days and I just might not have noticed it right away. I've made no driver changes.

Check the touchpad settings. Some of them have a "momentum" feature which makes the touchpad act more like a trackball. It keeps moving for a bit after you lift your fingers (like a trackball still spinning). Disable it if you don't like it.

This will be in your touchpad manufacturer's settings, not the Windows touchpad settings. (There should be a "Synaptics settings" or "Elan settings" option in the Windows touchpad settings.)

Nov 5, 2018
Check the touchpad settings. Some of them have a "momentum" feature which makes the touchpad act more like a trackball. It keeps moving for a bit after you lift your fingers (like a trackball still spinning). Disable it if you don't like it.

This will be in your touchpad manufacturer's settings, not the Windows touchpad settings. (There should be a "Synaptics settings" or "Elan settings" option in the Windows touchpad settings.)
Under Windows touchpad settings, I searched for "momentum," "synaptics," and "elan" and found nothing.