[SOLVED] Touchpad is occasionally freezing on my Ideapad S540-15IWL GTX

Apr 3, 2021
Hi all.
I've got a brand new Ideapad S540-15IWL GTX laptop. From the day I bought, I am experiencing a touchpad problem. After working just fine for 5-10 minutes, it starts to freeze for 3-4seconds and then revives. When I turn off and on touchpad from keyboard shortcut, it suddenly works though. There's no problem when I plug in an external mouse. I've updated all drivers from Lenovo's support page. Actually, there's no driver specific for touchpad but there's serial I/O driver and others under the chipset title. I found a general synaptics driver for win10 and installed it. I even installed a fresh windows 10. Nothing worked.
Thing I noticed is that there's no synaptics tab on the mouse properties window. I suspect it's a problem with the touchpad itself but I want to be sure I did everything before sending it to a Lenovo service supplier.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd advise on first making sure your BIOS for the laptop's motherboard is up to date. Then check to see which version of Windows 10 you're on at the moment. We're currently on version 20H2. By reinstall, did you fabricate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

You can use this support site to source all your drivers;
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bd/en/...ies-netbooks/s540-15iwl/downloads/driver-list

On that note, since the laptop's support page doesn't have a driver labelled specifically to the touchpad/trackpad, I'd advise on leaving that bit alone. In fact if you did reinstall your OS, I'd ask you to manually install all drivers in...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd advise on first making sure your BIOS for the laptop's motherboard is up to date. Then check to see which version of Windows 10 you're on at the moment. We're currently on version 20H2. By reinstall, did you fabricate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

You can use this support site to source all your drivers;
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bd/en/...ies-netbooks/s540-15iwl/downloads/driver-list

On that note, since the laptop's support page doesn't have a driver labelled specifically to the touchpad/trackpad, I'd advise on leaving that bit alone. In fact if you did reinstall your OS, I'd ask you to manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, and leave the rest to Windows Update to see if any drivers are necessary for an update.

Solution
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks Lutfıj!
My BIOS is up to date.
I actually reseted my Windows 10 using the troubleshoot option on Windows. When I do this, Windows automatically installed some of the drivers including the GPU drivers etc. I then created a bootable USB using Windows media creator. Then reinstalled the windows using my win10 product key. Issue is still present.
I will try your suggestion.
Do you mean firstly installing all drivers on Lenovo support page without Internet connection by running them as administrator and using windows update later?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome!

Do you mean firstly installing all drivers on Lenovo support page without Internet connection by running them as administrator
Yes

and using windows update later?
Yes

Just for the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your laptop?

Reactions: fabled07