Question Touchpad not working in Windows 10 or Ubuntu 20.04 ?

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hello,

I just purchased a new Gateway GWNC31514 laptop. The touchpad worked fine in Windows 11 but isn't detected in Windows 10 or Ubuntu 20.04. For Windows 10, I've installed all the available drivers from Gateway's website and the latest OS updates and available drivers from the Microsoft Update tool. I booted into a live session of Ubuntu 20.04 to see if I'd have better luck with the touchpad and maybe dig out the touchpad's hardware info. Neither OS even see's the hardware. Any ideas on why the touchpad is seen and works in 11 but isn't detected in the other OSs?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Use the win11 driver for it

Thing is, Windows 10 and Ubuntu don't even see a piece of hardware to apply a driver too. That's the mysterious part of this. Assuming Windows 11 sees the hardware, for which a driver is applied, how would I apply a driver to a piece of hardware that Windows 10 isn't seeing?

D

Deleted member 14196

In device manager, are there any devices with a? Next to them because that’s where they would be and that’s how you would apply a driver. Right Click on the question mark And say update driver

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
In device manager, are there any devices with a? Next to them because that’s where they would be and that’s how you would apply a driver. Right Click on the question mark And say update driver

When I first installed Windows 10, I did see a bunch of unidentified hardware devices. I downloaded all the available drivers from Gateway's website for my laptop's model. I then did the "Update Driver" process to apply a driver to each unidentified device, pointing at the downloaded driver folder. I've since done a "Scan for hardware changes" process by right-clicking on my computer in Device Manager. At this point in time, there are no unidentified hardware devices.

I found a webpage that suggested that the Serial IO drivers might be old or the wrong type (their issue was with an HP laptop): Windows 10 does not detect touchpad (not shown in device manager). I found another similar post from an Acer user: Touchpad not detected after fresh windows install. In the first case, I'm not exactly sure how to tell if one of my Serial IO drivers is old or the wrong variety. I just installed the Intel driver update tool and updated two drivers (wifi & graphics); my touchpad still doesn't work though.

What's the next step?

Last edited:

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hello Mandark,

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I don't see the hardware in Device Manager, I can't update the driver. For testing, I created a Clonezilla image of my Windows 10 configuration and upgraded to Windows 11. Once Windows 11 booted, the touchpad worked right away. I've been comparing the touchpad configuration between Windows 10 and 11 (I've also created a Clonezilla image of my Windows 11 configuration so I can switch back and forth).

Looking at the following two pictures, you can clearly see where the touchpad connects to the hardware in Device Manager for Windows 11. In Windows 10, you can see the I2C but there are no sub-objects like there is in 11. The I2C driver is the exact same for both OS versions. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've also added more Windows 11 touchpad info from msinfo32 and Speccy.

Windows 10 Device Manager (by connection)

Windows 11 Device Manager (by connection)

msinfo32 output for touchpad in Win11

Speccy touchpad info

Last edited:

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I posted my question in the Windows Ten Forum where I got the suggestion to use Snappy Driver Installer, which ultimately fixed my issue. I used the tool to update all of my outdated drivers. After which, my touchpad started working. I re-imaged my laptop several more times to narrow down the precise fix. The exact fix required updating the Intel GPIO and I2C drivers with the latest version found here: Intel® Serial IO Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit and Windows 11* for the 11th Generation Intel® NUC Products. Although I chose not to use anything from the tool, the tool helped me trouble-shoot and resolve the issue. Thanks for all your help!

TRENDING THREADS