Touchscreen Kiosks to Replace 250 NYC Pay Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp231

Splendid
Dumb idea, in a week or so that thing is going to get busted, stolen, or spray with graffiti.
In Japan, they even have a vending machine that runs on Core i5.
A core i5!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Dumb idea, in a week or so that thing is going to get busted, stolen, or spray with graffiti.In Japan, they even have a vending machine that runs on Core i5.A core i5![/citation]

One does not simply bust a visible property in the middle of the street without being detected. Most vandals prefer it when nobody is watching.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Dumb idea, in a week or so that thing is going to get busted, stolen, or spray with graffiti.In Japan, they even have a vending machine that runs on Core i5.A core i5![/citation]

Do you even live in NYC? Like any big city there are good areas and bad. I doubt they are putting these 250 test cases in bad areas. If a payphone survived without having it's receiver smashed, ripped off, or defaced I think the touch screen has a good chance.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Do you even live in NYC? Like any big city there are good areas and bad. I doubt they are putting these 250 test cases in bad areas. If a payphone survived without having it's receiver smashed, ripped off, or defaced I think the touch screen has a good chance.[/citation]
till you have a TON of people use it and get a TON of finger prints to the point where it would be a turn off.

not to mention possible identity theft because it's a public place. But, I think that will only happen if it takes off.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]till you have a TON of people use it and get a TON of finger prints to the point where it would be a turn off.not to mention possible identity theft because it's a public place. But, I think that will only happen if it takes off.[/citation]

Then that's why you have maintenance workers to wipe them occasionally.

And there's not going to be ID theft because they will be broadcasting public information, not serving as a place where you can log into an account or something.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I travel a lot in Manhattan, the cleaners will clean it on a daily bases. But would still love one of those old working phone booth here and there. So i can do my matrix talk :) but really, it be cool to have them around to give the city that antique look a bit.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Just have super thick gorilla glass and heavy steel chassis with good gaskets, heavy steel pole, that should taken care of most abuse I think, assuming gorilla glass is highly resilient to keying.
Geubbered circuitry to protect against crap in case a gasket fails.

But it won't stop someone from ramming into it with a Hummer or sawzalling it.

G

It sounds more like these kiosks DISplaced the pay phones, not replaced. Believe it or not, not everyone has a cell phone, and on rare occasion may need to make a phone call when away from home.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]WTFtoposthere[/nom]It sounds more like these kiosks DISplaced the pay phones, not replaced. Believe it or not, not everyone has a cell phone, and on rare occasion may need to make a phone call when away from home.[/citation]

Those kind of people need to get a cell phone. I mean, you can get a cheap pay-as-you-go phone for less than $10 that includes time on it already. I saw such a phone in the local drug store recently from TracFone.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

they also have whole stores that are nothing but vending machines, and many of their vending machines are in the 5$+ range for items, really its not rare to see them go for even more than that. i thing the largest thing i seen in a vending machine was something around the 500$ range.

f-14

Distinguished
ya ya ya heard this all before back in the 90's when they debuted, and then all of the sudden every touch screen kiosk was yanked from every place that had one.

these things were great back in the 90's you could replace almost every best buy sales rep in the computer department. you just needed 1 computer sales rep in order to call the MOD to open up lock up to get the product out after it was located.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]till you have a TON of people use it and get a TON of finger prints to the point where it would be a turn off.not to mention possible identity theft because it's a public place. But, I think that will only happen if it takes off.[/citation]

do you still use the restrooms in america? they get tons of use and have more than just fingerprints on them, do you just hold it until you get home, or do you wipe it off or call a store employee to come clean it after 5 other people have used it?

is your knick name the same as paul finch's on american pie?

your argument is moot with one wet wipe or handkerchief. while your argument is valid for gaming, for a blood blinkin pay phone you're making yourself out to be the most brain dead person alive next to george bush jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.