Touchsmart gaming?

whyitbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
i'm really liking the idea of the all in one computers, i'm just wondering how well they'd be able to play any video games?

# Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
# Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache]
# 8GB DDR3-1066MHz SODIMM [2 DIMMs]
# 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
# 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5570

is the HD 5570 good? is the nvidia geforce gt 425m better? and i heard that on cards like that having 2gb is useless, is that true?

Solution
Yes. Your dealing with a lower-end twice-removed generation graphics card in the 4270 as well as an overall slower system architecture and processor. You would see a big difference in the performance. The first machines you proposed would be far better options.

For serious gaming performance, you'll need a desktop PC that's not an all-in-one. Most of the components in a serious gaming system run hotter requiring more sophisticated cooling solutions (airflow, heatsinks, liquid, etc...) while the all-in-ones are similar to laptops in that everything is self-contained and airflow is restricted, components are "stacked" on top of each other and there's less room for really good cooling solutions. Also, higher-end graphics generally...
The 5570 is a good multimedia card, but won't give you good gaming performance. If you don't mind setting the graphics to low, you could probably play most games beyond 30 fps. The fact that it has 2GB would seem to not matter unless your were to drive additional monitors with it (kind of defeating the purpose of the all-in-one) or if the monitor had a resolution beyond 1080p.

The 5570 is a bit better than the 425m according to this performance chart:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

That machine should be great for everything other than gaming. For gaming, you'll need to set everything to low.

whyitbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I see. Thank you for the reply! can i also ask if the below system would be worse for gaming? and how big a difference would one notice when gaming on both machines?

PROCESSOR Inspiron One 2305, AMD Athlon™ II X4 610e processor(2MB Cache,2.30GHz) + ATI Radeon HD 4270
MEMORY 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 DIMMs + 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Yes. Your dealing with a lower-end twice-removed generation graphics card in the 4270 as well as an overall slower system architecture and processor. You would see a big difference in the performance. The first machines you proposed would be far better options.

For serious gaming performance, you'll need a desktop PC that's not an all-in-one. Most of the components in a serious gaming system run hotter requiring more sophisticated cooling solutions (airflow, heatsinks, liquid, etc...) while the all-in-ones are similar to laptops in that everything is self-contained and airflow is restricted, components are "stacked" on top of each other and there's less room for really good cooling solutions. Also, higher-end graphics generally require a lot of real-estate within the system. This is another reason why you won't see these in all-in-ones and laptops.

If I were to choose the best gaming system among those systems you've listed, I'd go for the i7-2600 with the 5570.

Solution