Toucpad & synaptics dead after user logon

Holger

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Hello,

since a while a have the following problem:

The touchpad of my notebook works fine in the login screen
after booting WinXP. I can move the curser, select a user
account and log in as a user. So far everything is fine.

But as soon as I log into any user account both touchpad
and all touchpad buttons are "dead". Additionally the
synaptics display does not shows any activity (all grey).

And when I log off the user account the touchpad remains
inactive even in the login screen, where I should be able
to select the user accounts.

Some more background:
This behavoior is independet from the user accout
(privileged or restricted user).
An external mouse works perfecty in any user account.
The problem is the same, with or without external mouse
plugged in.
The control panel shows 2 mouse devices:
1.) HDI conform mouse
2.) Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device
But no conficts or other warings.
Attributes.
The device status is "ready"
The driver files are all marked "grean", i.e. o.k.

Any help is very welcome.

Thanks and regards, Holger

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Sometimes i had the same problem.
Seems to be a problem with driver.
I always leave Synaptics welcome screen on (do not check the "don't show
this message again" option), and the problem never hapens again.

"holger" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since a while a have the following problem:
>
> The touchpad of my notebook works fine in the login screen
> after booting WinXP. I can move the curser, select a user
> account and log in as a user. So far everything is fine.
>
> But as soon as I log into any user account both touchpad
> and all touchpad buttons are "dead". Additionally the
> synaptics display does not shows any activity (all grey).
>
> And when I log off the user account the touchpad remains
> inactive even in the login screen, where I should be able
> to select the user accounts.
>
> Some more background:
> This behavoior is independet from the user accout
> (privileged or restricted user).
> An external mouse works perfecty in any user account.
> The problem is the same, with or without external mouse
> plugged in.
> The control panel shows 2 mouse devices:
> 1.) HDI conform mouse
> 2.) Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device
> But no conficts or other warings.
> Attributes.
> The device status is "ready"
> The driver files are all marked "grean", i.e. o.k.
>
> Any help is very welcome.
>
> Thanks and regards, Holger

TRENDING THREADS