Tough choice...

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Hey. I'm trying to find a new graphics card for my brother. Money is an issue so it has to be under 150. This week, Best buy has a sale on the Xtasy Geforce3 ti200 64MB card. This looks like a good buy but i'm wondering if getting a geforce 4 MX series card would be better. Any suggestions?

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

G

The gf4 MX variety is a pumped up GF2. not any better than the GF3. I would go w/ the Radeon7500 instead or the 7000. I work @ Best buy, and those seem to work alot better.

G

Besides, the X-tasy isnt a very good card if you want a geFARCE you should go for one made by a better manuf.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The GF3 Ti200 is not a bad card at all. It has full DX8 support with pixel and vertex shaders. It beats easily the 7500 and massacres the 7000, although those two also cost less. The GF4 MX is basically a 'waste' of good money and a Ti200 would easily be a better choice. If you buy online, you can probably get a R8500 for under $150, but make sure that if you buy OEM, that it's clocked at 275/275. Oh also, if not a R8500LE would definitely do nicely. Also same thing applies from the R8500.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

G

I would not have said ANYTHING except for the fact that they might get an XTASY. the cards SUCK
Go away yourself if you can't READ

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
I'm not throwing away what you've said about the radeon series, but my brother has the Radeon VE and he has a ton of trouble w/ it and doesn't want to get a radeon series card. What brand gf3 would you reccomend?

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, many people say there are issues with regards to image quality when it comes to GF3 and under cards- however, I find it lies really on the filter. Some manufacturers use good ones, others not so good. Get a leadtek- they use a great filter, and image quality is great, whether you use DVI or analog connector. They are also very stable- I have a few freinds w/ leadteks, and myself have used them, and none of use has had a problem.

Sig of the week.