Question Tower shut off and won't restart

Ladythorne

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I just got new peripherals (XLR microphone with a Focusrite Scarlet solo converter box) and installed the editing software that goes with the new equipment. (program install wanted a restart which took unusually long last night, like over 30mins) Was trying to install Pro-Tools First this morning when the tower just shut down. I thought we'd had a brown out at first, but that was not the case (confirmed with other members of the house and electronics that reset to 12:00 when power flickers). No warning, just died. I've wiggled, unplugged/replugged everything, checked the strip, etc, but everything else plugged in is still running, but the tower still not turning on. I've pulled the power supply and did the paperclip power check and the fan spins. Now what? Can anyone walk me through isolating my problem so I can fix/replace it and get back to work?

Please use simple language and not too many acronyms. While I have built machines and am more savvy than most 50 year-olds, I'm just an author and not as technically adroit. I most certainly do not know the lingo these days.

I am running Windows 10 on an older Thinkcentre. If you need any other information about the tower, please tell me how to acquire said info when you ask. It's not like I can ask my tower the specs. She's mostly out of the box, though I bought a better graphics card when I got it and I added two 8 sticks of DDR3s last week that came from another tower bringing me up to 24 (I had two 4s in previously, I just added the 8s to the 4s, in case that caused my problem)

Edit: She's not overheating. I didn't feel abnormal heat from the tower and tried again after letting it sit for 40 mins. Still not coming on.

I just got new peripherals (XLR microphone with a Focusrite Scarlet solo converter box) and installed the editing software that goes with the new equipment. (program install wanted a restart which took unusually long last night, like over 30mins) Was trying to install Pro-Tools First this morning when the tower just shut down. I thought we'd had a brown out at first, but that was not the case (confirmed with other members of the house and electronics that reset to 12:00 when power flickers). No warning, just died. I've wiggled, unplugged/replugged everything, checked the strip, etc, but everything else plugged in is still running, but the tower still not turning on. I've pulled the power supply and did the paperclip power check and the fan spins. Now what? Can anyone walk me through isolating my problem so I can fix/replace it and get back to work?

Please use simple language and not too many acronyms. While I have built machines and am more savvy than most 50 year-olds, I'm just an author and not as technically adroit. I most certainly do not know the lingo these days.

I am running Windows 10 on an older Thinkcentre. If you need any other information about the tower, please tell me how to acquire said info when you ask. It's not like I can ask my tower the specs. She's mostly out of the box, though I bought a better graphics card when I got it and I added two 8 sticks of DDR3s last week that came from another tower bringing me up to 24 (I had two 4s in previously, I just added the 8s to the 4s, in case that caused my problem)

Edit: She's not overheating. I didn't feel abnormal heat from the tower and tried again after letting it sit for 40 mins. Still not coming on.

Hello, so like you mentioned, I will need more info on your full setup including PSU. Right now you can view your specs by downloading an app such as speccy or following a tutorial such as this one. I don't want to explain it here so I want to make it easy. Most importantly I will need your power supply model, which to get the information, you will need to have a look inside. It could be your pc being underpowered but I doubt it is, however it is always worth checking.

Ladythorne

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
ok, so I pulled the power supply and put it back, etc like I said I did. On a whim, I plugged the computer in to see if any lights would come on and suddenly the machine turns on! Running now, but I'm leery. SO I can ask the machine for the info. I need to be sure neither of the new programs or the extra ram is causing my issue.

Processor AMD A8-5500B APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.2 GHz
16 GB RAM (which is confusing as I have in 2 8s and 2 4s. Is there an order to the install of those? Ie, should 8s be by 8s and 4s by 4s? currently alternating)

What more information is needed?