Question Tower turns off half a second after psu turns on.

Luc1611

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
I'll be describing the current issue first, then the history if that helps at all:
Specs:
AsRock B360mPro4
Corsair CV750
32GB Ram
I9 9900K
RTX 2080

So when I turn on the psu at the switch, my rig gets power for about half a second (I know because the led on my mouse flicks on, then off immediately, and when it works correctly, that led stays on always).

Backstory:
After an unexpected blackout (thanks Eskom) the system would refuse to turn on and did the same thing as mentioned above (gets power for half a second then flicks off). Took it into a shop, and it booted up fine there. Took it home then it refused to turn on at all.
I bought a new psu, put it in, same issue, no power at all so I know it isnt psu related (I hope) Reseated everything, tested the power in my outlets with a multimeter and swapped cables, nothing.

Left it on the floor for a few days while I looked for a shop to take it to, then it turned on again when I tested it. Turned on fine for a few days, then I messed up, after another blackout where I usually turn on the wall power, then the psu switch, I turned on the psu and then the wallpower. Then it did the same thing, on for half a second then nothing.

While inspecting the system (completely unplugged from any power source) I accidentally brushed my hand against the input prongs on the psu and it shocked me, is this normal? Or is my psu holding charge and turning off for some reason/or could it be a leak somewhere on the mobo thats causing this thing. Is there a way to drain this charge on the psu, as my stupid theory is that it turned on after leaving it alone for so long because it lost whatever charge overwhelmed it from the wall power.

Basically I am sleep deprived and tired of this rig confounding me.

I'll be describing the current issue first, then the history if that helps at all:
Specs:
AsRock B360mPro4
Corsair CV750
32GB Ram
I9 9900K
RTX 2080

So when I turn on the psu at the switch, my rig gets power for about half a second (I know because the led on my mouse flicks on, then off immediately, and when it works correctly, that led stays on always).

Backstory:
After an unexpected blackout (thanks Eskom) the system would refuse to turn on and did the same thing as mentioned above (gets power for half a second then flicks off). Took it into a shop, and it booted up fine there. Took it home then it refused to turn on at all.
I bought a new psu, put it in, same issue, no power at all so I know it isnt psu related (I hope) Reseated everything, tested the power in my outlets with a multimeter and swapped cables, nothing.

Left it on the floor for a few days while I looked for a shop to take it to, then it turned on again when I tested it. Turned on fine for a few days, then I messed up, after another blackout where I usually turn on the wall power, then the psu switch, I turned on the psu and then the wallpower. Then it did the same thing, on for half a second then nothing.

While inspecting the system (completely unplugged from any power source) I accidentally brushed my hand against the input prongs on the psu and it shocked me, is this normal? Or is my psu holding charge and turning off for some reason/or could it be a leak somewhere on the mobo thats causing this thing. Is there a way to drain this charge on the psu, as my stupid theory is that it turned on after leaving it alone for so long because it lost whatever charge overwhelmed it from the wall power.

Unplug the power cord from the psu make sure the psu is in the on position. "AFTER BEING UNPLUGGED" Then hold power button on the case for 30s x2s... After this id also recommended before plugging the system back in after that. Remove the lithium battery from the mobo and repeat process one more time..
Then reseat lithium battery then psu cable to psu and try to boot

Luc1611

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
Unplug the power cord from the psu make sure the psu is in the on position. "AFTER BEING UNPLUGGED" Then hold power button on the case for 30s x2s... After this id also recommended before plugging the system back in after that. Remove the lithium battery from the mobo and repeat process one more time..
Then reseat lithium battery then psu cable to psu and try to boot
Thanks for the advice, just tried it, and unfortunately no beuno.

Specs:
AsRock B360mPro4
Corsair CV750
32GB Ram
I9 9900K
RTX 2080

Backstory:

Test the pc on a few different outlets in your home.

If nothing changes test the pc in your neighbors home.

Reactions: white.a.drew