Tower turns on multiple times

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
When I turn on my tower, nothing goes to the monitor (there's just a black screen). Sometimes, it starts up again after just a few seconds, and then it will sit there, fans blowing, for an indefinite period of time before I press and hold the power button to turn it off. I'm wondering why it is doing this. Sometimes it will turn on a couple times before doing that.
A few extra details to help:
1. It does this from cold, when I first turn it on in the morning or something
2. once after it did this, I came back 30-40 minutes later and tried again and it worked - I was even able to restart it and then turn it off, and then back on.
3. I just put in a new hard drive and installed fresh copy of Windows 7 pro on it in an attempt to fix the problem that was originally occurring, which was that it was turning on (it WAS showing the splash screen on the monitor this time), but it would pause at some point and do nothing.
Any help is appreciated. Thx

Solution
What you are describing is almost a classic example of your cmos battery dying off, if you do have that multimeter check the voltages right away. If it dips below what it is rated at, usually 3v, by an significant amount, say 0.5v, then it is time to order a new cmos battery. You will not lose anything, your windows license is safe and so is everything else. But your settings in bios will all be reset when you put the new one in so if you had any custom settings, remember them now so you can put them back in later. Let me know how you make out, what the voltage is on your current battery, and when you buy that new one and put it in. They're usually under 5 dollars online, so fairly inexpensive, or most definitely at your local hardware...

Anonymous09

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015
Sorry for the delayed response, again I didn't receive an email, but according to the manual for your mb, that beep code is consistent with a no memory error. Now, if you have some spare ram, I strongly suggest taking out whatever is in there now, and putting that spare stick in just to see what happens. Since your mb is very old, you can probably find some ddr2 cheap on ebay or equivalent storefront, probably under 5 bucks, any size will work so it doesn't matter as long as the ram is good. If that still doesn't work, we'll move on from there.

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Hi, thank you for all of the help. I could buy some ddr2 ram from Amazon, but I'm not going to as I don't want to spend any more money - it was just a hobby, so it's not necessary that I fix it now. Thanks again!

Anonymous09

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015

Not if you have an intel mb it won't, read the product description. You can't confirm anything else besides what is said on there, e.g. high or low density, single or double sided. Intel MBs will NOT take all types of ddr2, so you need to be careful with youe board. Look other places, try ebay or crucial if you can't find anything on amazon in your region. If its just for testing, find the cheapest compatible stick you can, no need to splurge if you dont know for certain whether it will work.

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017

OK. Thanks, I didn't know all of that.

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
After two attempts yesterday my computer started, but I had to press enter to continue despite the error that it warned me of.
Today, I started it up, and it said Windows failed to start. It said "Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt." Is this still related to the RAM? I haven't replaced the old RAM yet, so still the same RAM.

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Hey again. I've done some research into RAM, and I think I understand what I need better now.
I ordered 2x2gb DIMM DDR2 sticks, 800MHz off of Amazon. Will be a while till I get them. Will update once received and tested.

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Hi. I put the new RAM into the tower, which appears to be functioning properly. But the tower is still doing something wierd: it won't power up right away when I press the power button, and then it usually re-initiates and the fan just blows (whenever it does this it does not post to BIOS). Whenever it does beep (post to BIOS), then it is fine and it loads up Windows. So the computer usu. starts up properly on the second try.
But... I just started it up again, and it posted to BIOS, but it is stuck on the ASUS splash screen (where I have the option to enter BIOS). I tried hitting the del key to enter BIOS after a bit, which did not work. So I force turned it off and turned it on again: same thing. Third time - it actually loaded up Windows. Super sketchy!
But then, the "Nvidia kernel mode driver" kept failing and then recovering, and then I got a blue screen with lots of stuff on it, saying that there was a problem and Windows was shutting down to prevent damage to the computer. It tried to turn on again, but then just the fan blowing.
Fifth time - started properly, and gave me options to start in safe mode, normally, etc. I started normally.