[SOLVED] Tower vs downdraft CPU cooler

Apr 29, 2019
Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of choosing a cooler for a 9600K with an ROG STRIX Z390-i, but I was wondering about the VRM and chipset temperatures. I like the Dark Rock Slim, but for overall cooler temperatures the Shadow Rock TF2 looks more promising, but is it really a difference between downdraft and tower coolers? I will be using an NZXT H210i with two 120mm exhaust fans. I will be overclocking at some point.

Solution
I personally would aim for a rather balanced setup with a directed airflow front to back. So the tower cooler and the mainboard components get a supply of fresh air.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
In your specific case I would rather go with a tower cooler because there is no side intake and TG instead. So you might "choke" a downdraft cooler there.

I would use the tf2 in a case with somewhat restricted cooler height of 130-145 mm and a direct side intake.

For example NCase m1 or Chimera cerberus.

Apr 29, 2019
In your specific case I would rather go with a tower cooler because there is no side intake and TG instead. So you might "choke" a downdraft cooler there.

I would use the tf2 in a case with somewhat restricted cooler height of 130-145 mm and a direct side intake.

For example NCase m1 or Chimera cerberus.
Will the tower not direct all airflow from the motherboard components? Maybe I should add intake fans? The Nzxt H series works quite well with negative pressure and that’s what I am aiming at.

TRENDING THREADS