Town in Israel Puts Wi-Fi Routers On Its Donkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Have you tried our jackass wifi?

My favorite quote from the AP article that can be completely misconstrued...

Visitor Peter Scherr said. "I send pictures back to my family while I'm having fun on the donkeys."

I'm just glad hes not talking about Mexico..

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
This article upsets me, and not just because they are putting wireless on donkeys but because it seems to be written poorly.

"...part of an effort to engage with younger generations as opposed to catering to the always-on tourists..." nothing seems right at all about this quote. Then there is the an historical/a historical at the beginning, while both are TECHNICALLY right... I still think it should be a historical because I pronounce the h (though you may not).

Downrate all you want, I just wanted to put my 2 cents out there.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Im so going to hell x)
I pictured Jesus giving out wifi instead of a sermon, on a donkey, being followed by a mass of wifi-starved people with their notebooks... and palm leaves.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]both are TECHNICALLY right... I still think it should be a historical......Downrate all you want, I just wanted to put my 2 cents out there.[/citation]
I'm down voting you because you are reading it wrong, being an ass, grammar Nazi and Troll. Just my 2cents.

Let me make the words simple for you, since you seem to understand the concept of writing, but not the content.

"saying the move is part of an effort to engage with younger generations as opposed to catering to the always-on tourists that can't bear to be away from a WiFi connection."
=
This change was to cater to the younger generation, not to cater to the always online tourist. Both groups benefit from this, but they were specifically targeting the younger generation.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]This article upsets me, and not just because they are putting wireless on donkeys but because it seems written poorly. [/citation]

Hate to break this to you, but this is Tom's. Spell checking, grammar checking, at times fact checking, breaking news that hasn't been reported elsewhere for 3 weeks and non-fanboy articles are like the edit post function ... very rare indeed.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I'm down voting you because you are reading it wrong, being an ass, grammar Nazi and Troll. Just my 2cents.Let me make the words simple for you, since you seem to understand the concept of writing, but not the content."saying the move is part of an effort to engage with younger generations as opposed to catering to the always-on tourists that can't bear to be away from a WiFi connection."=This change was to cater to the younger generation, not to cater to the always online tourist. Both groups benefit from this, but they were specifically targeting the younger generation.[/citation]
The younger generation IS the always on generation, though. And why mention it at all if both parties have the same interest? There is no contrast there at all.

Perhaps "in spite of" would be better usage. "part of an effort to engage with younger generations in spite of the always-on tourists that can't bear to be away..."

spamu2

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]Then there is the an historical/a historical at the beginning, while both are TECHNICALLY right... I still think it should be a historical because I pronounce the h (though you may not).Downrate all you want, I just wanted to put my 2 cents out there.[/citation]

Starting out the article with that was like a kick in the teeth. Don't worry, Rabid. We have Merriam-Webster on our side:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/historic

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Im so going to hell x)I pictured Jesus giving out wifi instead of a sermon, on a donkey, being followed by a mass of wifi-starved people with their notebooks... and palm leaves.[/citation]"Let there be light! Also, a bunch of other electromagnetic wavelengths, like radio."

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]subasteve5800[/nom]I think the meaning of "mobile hotspot" got lost in translation.[/citation]My donkey ran off and took my WiFi with it. What an inconsiderate ass!

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]The younger generation IS the always on generation, though.[/citation]
The second group was specifically identified as "tourists;" this indicates to me that Mr. Goldberg was talking about the younger generations in Israel, and not the younger generation of tourists. Now, I don't know much about the demographics of Israel, but I'd venture to say it's possible that the youths (especially in that village itself) don't quite have the same attachment (or even access) to the internet that we do in the west.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Now I know why we have only 10 Commandments!

They had AT&T service on the mountain top and Moses ran out of his monthly download allowance :)

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Im so going to hell x)I pictured Jesus giving out wifi instead of a sermon, on a donkey, being followed by a mass of wifi-starved people with their notebooks... and palm leaves.[/citation]

I smell a photoshop competiton

G

Maybe they should install them on Whitetail Deer, here in the Adirondack Mountains! Good idea yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.