Toyota land cruiser 2009 - Wheel bolt broken when tightening

Grobe

Distinguished
Hi forum.

Today I was about to change wheel on a Toyota Land Cruiser 2009. When I was about to tighten the nut on the new wheel, two of the nuts felt off with the broken wheel bolt inside.

I do not have a torque wrench, but I have shifted wheels at least two times per year the last 20 years and have never experienced that happens before. The bolts felt weakened.

I have to mention one thing in addition: The nuts was kind of stuck when I tried to get them loose, but I managed to get them loose with some force. The didn't break off then.

I have images of the bolts in questions. What you guys think - metal fatigue ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am not sure about the cause (likely over-torquing over time), but I would order some new ones for all four wheels and replace them. The others may be similarly compromised, just not broken yet.

Grobe

Distinguished
I am not sure about the cause (likely over-torquing over time), but I would order some new ones for all four wheels and replace them. The others may be similarly compromised, just not broken yet.
Thank you for replying. I think I'll have all of the bolts replaced, like you suggest.

Yes I was thinking the same, but not an metal expert tho. The force used to tighten the nuts should not have being very much above a standard torque for a regular car - unfortunately the car manual for the land cruiser doesn't specify the amount of torque to be used.

Anyway, I'm very glad I found out while shifting wheels instead of when out on the highway 😧

It is a fairly common occurrence with lug nuts and studs. Every time you torque them down they stretch just a bit. It is helpful to use a bit of anti seize compound on your studs, particularly if you change them a lot and avoid using the lug wrench to tighten if you don't have to.
If you are lucky your hub will have a small circlet cutout that will allow you to drive the broken stud out the back. Sometimes you have to drop the hub. Still not generally very involved, if messy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FlaryBartender Cars 25
editor1 Cars 5

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS