Toyota land cruiser 2009 - Wheel bolt broken when tightening

Hi forum.

Today I was about to change wheel on a Toyota Land Cruiser 2009. When I was about to tighten the nut on the new wheel, two of the nuts felt off with the broken wheel bolt inside.

I do not have a torque wrench, but I have shifted wheels at least two times per year the last 20 years and have never experienced that happens before. The bolts felt weakened.

I have to mention one thing in addition: The nuts was kind of stuck when I tried to get them loose, but I managed to get them loose with some force. The didn't break off then.

I have images of the bolts in questions. What you guys think - metal fatigue ?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am not sure about the cause (likely over-torquing over time), but I would order some new ones for all four wheels and replace them. The others may be similarly compromised, just not broken yet.

I am not sure about the cause (likely over-torquing over time), but I would order some new ones for all four wheels and replace them. The others may be similarly compromised, just not broken yet.
Thank you for replying. I think I'll have all of the bolts replaced, like you suggest.

Yes I was thinking the same, but not an metal expert tho. The force used to tighten the nuts should not have being very much above a standard torque for a regular car - unfortunately the car manual for the land cruiser doesn't specify the amount of torque to be used.

Anyway, I'm very glad I found out while shifting wheels instead of when out on the highway 😧

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is a fairly common occurrence with lug nuts and studs. Every time you torque them down they stretch just a bit. It is helpful to use a bit of anti seize compound on your studs, particularly if you change them a lot and avoid using the lug wrench to tighten if you don't have to.
If you are lucky your hub will have a small circlet cutout that will allow you to drive the broken stud out the back. Sometimes you have to drop the hub. Still not generally very involved, if messy.