TP-LINK and cat5e cable

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Hello,

i have optic 300/50 MB connection. I have tested the speed on a computer connected directly to my ISP modem via cat5e cable and i got 295/55 speed. So the speed is real. My problem is with my router i guess. I have tp-link TL-WR1043ND router which does support speeds up to 450MBs. When ever i connect my modem port 5 (where the speed 300/50 is) with my router i lose internet connection (lan and wifi simple doesnt work). I am connected but i dont have internet. If i connect to port 1 on modem with the same cat5e cable i have internet, but the speed is only 100/10 MBs. I have tried the tp-link forums but their support is awefull. I am lost and i dont know what to do anymore ... maybe switch to asus :D

regards,
heki

Solution

5 ports on the back indicates this is a modem/router, not 'just a modem'.
The Innbox also does WiFi.

So, connecting your TP-link to it is maybe not needed.
But if you do, it must be done in a particular way. Otherwise, you end up with the issues youa re seeing.

USAFRet

Titan

What "modem" do you have?
A modem only device will not have 5 LAN ports on the back.

What is the exact chain of devices you have?

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Hi,

I dont know the model, couse its from my ISP, but i have everything on this device (ip tv, ip phone, internet, normal phone, ...). There are 5 utp ports on the back and 2 smal ports for normal phones.

I ll try to find out the model for u guys.

Regards

USAFRet

Titan

5 ports on the back indicates this is a modem/router, not 'just a modem'.
The Innbox also does WiFi.

So, connecting your TP-link to it is maybe not needed.
But if you do, it must be done in a particular way. Otherwise, you end up with the issues youa re seeing.

Solution

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
That wifi sux! Poor signal and everything ... I am greatfull for your support. What would be the particular way of connecting them?
innbox Port 1 connected to my wan in tplink works, but i am not getting the avaliable speed. How should i connect the devices then?

Regards

USAFRet

Titan

OK...
Start here:
How to use a secondary router as a WiFi Access Point
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Yes,

my WIFI is connected 300Mbps and on speedtest i get only to 50Mbps. My tplink supports WIFI up to 450Mbps. Or am i mixing things?

"450Mbps Wireless speed and Gigabit Ethernet ports are ideal for multiple HD video streaming"

I tested my computer on WIFI at my work where we have TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 and optic connection of 100/10 and i got those speeds. So my wifi adapter on my computer can go over 50Mbps. Just not at my home ...

USAFRet

Titan

OK...
You have a 300.50 megabit fiber connection.

Wired to the ISPs device, what do you get?
WiFi to the ISPs device, what do you get?
Wired to the TP-Link, what do you get?
WiFi to the TP-Link, what do you get?

Of course, testing at the same place (speedtest.net), to the same server.

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
and port 1 on my ISP modem/router outputs only 100/100 connection, even if i use a wire on that port. So the ISP told me that if i want to have a better speed i need to use the port number 5. But when i use port 5 and connect it with wan on my router, i lose connection to internet.

I will have a look at your post about access point.

USAFRet

Titan

The TP-Link needs to be connected to a LAN port, not the WAN port.

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Hm,

i will have to ask with my ISP about how to turn my router into an access point. Here is why. If i connect a computer to my ISP modem/router and have my network card on DHCP, i dont get an inside IP address like 192.168.x.x, but i get my own outside IP address like 103.93.x.x.

And what should i put as gateway? The gateway should be the IP of my ISP modem/router right?

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

ok, i will give u all the info about all 4 options tomorrow. Now i have to put my daughter to sleep ... your help is much appreciated!! I will also try to setup my router as access point. Will report back in 8 hours or so :)

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I owe you are beer or two!!

CHeers!

heki08

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
OK!!!

USAFRet thank you for your time!! I have figured it out ... The problem wasn't my router. Because it should work the way i have it set up right now ...
The problem was my ISP modem/router. Port 5 wasn't set up as bridge. I called the support, they switched it to bridge and now i have 200Mbps wifi :)

Thank you so much for your time and efford. It was much appreciated.

Best regards,
HEki