[SOLVED] TP LINK ARCHER ARCHER C5400X

Mar 6, 2021
Morning Guys

My young lads who are Gamers have convinced me that we needed a new Router, and being a soft Dad, I picked up the above TP LINK C5400X Gaming Router for them.

We run an existing Talk Talk Sagecom set up, and I now realize (not being hugely Tech Savvy) that the TT Router cannot be configured in a Bridge mode.

So, I believe (please correct me if I've got it wrong) that I'll now need a separate Modem?

Any recommendations or pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
In general all routers have the same range. Almost all routers transmit at the legal maximum. Now it gets messy if you start including what speed it runs at certain distances but if you only look at the radio signal itself that is limited by government. If you get very picky the limits for more complex data transmission methods have a tiny bit less allowed power because of how it is measured.

The problem with wifi coverage is almost always the end devices. Many of those have small antenna and low power transmitters to save battery power.

You can always use the second router as a AP to replace just the wifi if that is your main concern.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Using their emulator for the router you have, here, yeah, you won't be able to enable Bridge Mode since the router doesn't have that feature. You could look into another router, returning this one ofc, for one that has Bridge Mode in it's options for modes.

What kind of internet connection do you have. Does the internet come in via a telephone wire or coax cable.

I suspect since the ISP says it can't be run in bridge mode you have a VDSL connection. You would likely need a router that contains a modem. You would need to find a router on the ISP supported list.

In most cases when you have a DSL connection a new fancy router will not help much. The bottleneck is the DSL, these tend to be kinda slow compare to say a cable modem that most are well over 100mbps for the basic plans.

Mar 6, 2021
Afternoon

It's a Talk Talk Broadband package, which comes in via BT Openreach Master Socket. I think from memory its a Fibre 65 package.

I'm starting to realise it's like sticking a custom, hand-built exhaust on a Ford Fiesta. It looks amazing and that's about it.

Looks like back here on Earth, we'd be using 10% of the Archers capabilities.

Just looking about for Modems - Would a Draytek Vigor 130 get the thing up and running or, is it best just to send it back?

I suppose the only positive is that it has some decent range on it, so it would perhaps reach the garden and the Garage.

In general all routers have the same range. Almost all routers transmit at the legal maximum. Now it gets messy if you start including what speed it runs at certain distances but if you only look at the radio signal itself that is limited by government. If you get very picky the limits for more complex data transmission methods have a tiny bit less allowed power because of how it is measured.

The problem with wifi coverage is almost always the end devices. Many of those have small antenna and low power transmitters to save battery power.

You can always use the second router as a AP to replace just the wifi if that is your main concern.

Solution
Mar 6, 2021
That all starts to make sense, and of course if you think about a smartphone's capabilities in that department.

If i just plugged the TP into the back of the Sagecom, would that let me run the Wireless through the TP?

That is a very expensive box to use for that purpose but any router can be used as a AP.

That router actually has a AP mode so it is simple.

You just plug it into any of the lan port on the sagecom . You can if you want turn off the wifi radios in the sagecom but it might be easier to just use different SSID and that way you can connect to the sagecom if you really want to.

cyrill5

Prominent
Feb 28, 2021
Morning Guys

My young lads who are Gamers have convinced me that we needed a new Router, and being a soft Dad, I picked up the above TP LINK C5400X Gaming Router for them.

We run an existing Talk Talk Sagecom set up, and I now realize (not being hugely Tech Savvy) that the TT Router cannot be configured in a Bridge mode.

So, I believe (please correct me if I've got it wrong) that I'll now need a separate Modem?

Any recommendations or pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Can I know what is the context of the network type or how it's form. When I search for the meaning of bridge mode. It says your router turn into some like a dhcp server..

Talk Talk Sagecom set up..
.is this the software or program you use to configure your router?

I'll suggest you use the to tplink software for your tp-link router.
Your new router in its box you'll see manual pointing you for their software to use.

Modem it is a devise that convert analog signal to digital signal.. it just that it has no special job. I don't think you'll need a new modem.