[SOLVED] TP-Link Archer C5400X Speed Issues

darcy169

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hey Guys!

I own a TP-Link Archer 5400x router which has been working well atleast until I actually looked at my download speeds and did a speed test.... So I have gigabyte internet and realised that I was only downloading at 300 Mbps and when I did a speed test I got the exact same result. When I reboot my router I instantly get over 1 Gbps download speed and speed test speed but I don't understand why this is happening and how I can fix it so it doesn't happy every day. From what I can tell my speeds reduce again over a few hours until its locked again to around the 300-350 Mbps mark.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Solution
If the router isn't overheating, then I don't have an explanation other than a bug in the firmware. You could check for an update, but it sounds like you may just have to replace the router.

kanewolf

Titan
Looking at the website, that motherboard has an Intel network interface. It comes with some software called "cFosSpeed" I have no idea what that does, but I would start looking there.

Otherwise, I would do a factory reset on your router. Set just the admin password, ISP info, SSIDs and WIFI passwords. Nothing else. Then retest.

darcy169

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I am guessing this is a wired connection to the router. Do you have a motherboard with "killer" ethernet or some other ethernet "optimizer" software? Many times that software will limit/inhibit download speeds.
Looking at the website, that motherboard has an Intel network interface. It comes with some software called "cFosSpeed" I have no idea what that does, but I would start looking there.

Otherwise, I would do a factory reset on your router. Set just the admin password, ISP info, SSIDs and WIFI passwords. Nothing else. Then retest.

Is this something that can be removed from my pc?

darcy169

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
So I did the factory reset and so far so good. Not sure what caused the issue as I never changed any settings but my speed test and download speeds are consistently fast.

darcy169

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
So just an update..... After the factory reset I waited a few days and the speeds were fine at 1Gbps down and 55 Mbps up which is exactly what I pay for but after 3-4 days the speeds got limited to 400Mbps down again..... The only thing that fixes this is to reboot or factory reset my router and the speeds only improve for a few days.

I checked and I don;t have the CFosSpeed software installed on my PC as someone had said so I'm really not sure whats going on.

kanewolf

Titan
So just an update..... After the factory reset I waited a few days and the speeds were fine at 1Gbps down and 55 Mbps up which is exactly what I pay for but after 3-4 days the speeds got limited to 400Mbps down again..... The only thing that fixes this is to reboot or factory reset my router and the speeds only improve for a few days.

I checked and I don;t have the CFosSpeed software installed on my PC as someone had said so I'm really not sure whats going on.
Your router might be overheating, although a reboot wouldn't generally change that.

Do you have torrents or any other constant high bandwidth traffic ?

darcy169

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Your router might be overheating, although a reboot wouldn't generally change that.

Do you have torrents or any other constant high bandwidth traffic ?

No not at all... there are a few people connected to the router but I'm the most bandwidth intense but only playing games or watching videos. I may download a game on steam here and there.

What's strange is my router itself has a speed test built in and it always tests at 1Gbps down but if I run the test on my phone or pc they both lock to 400Mbps

darcy169

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Update: I bypassed my router and went straight into the modem and I get my gigabit speeds back but as soon as I plug back into the router and run the speedtest its at 350-400Mbps unless I do a router reboot