[SOLVED] TP Link Deco M5 not performing well

Dec 25, 2021
Hi,

I have a 5G subscription from my ISP. It came with a Huawei EchoLife WA8021V5 wifi, connected with a LAN cable. When standing next to the wifi and running speedtest on my mobile phone, I get around 420mbps. When I switch the Huawei to one of my Deco M5, I get about 50mbps. I then connected my PS5 with LAN to the Huawei and PS5 gives about 380mbps. I then connected PS5 with LAN to Deco M5 and PS5 shows about 40mbps.

Is something wrong with my Deco M5 or is this speed difference to be expected? Strange thing is, when I use the Deco M5 own mobile app, it's own speed test gives about 520mbps.

That is strange when you look that part number up they call it a ONT. That generally means it has a fiber connection. If it did you would not be able to replace the device with your tplink router.

This means you must have some kind of modem or a actual ONT that you are plugging these routers into.

So I assume you are testing with just a single deco unit and you have plugged the game console directly into one of the lan ports. If the test program on the tplink did not test at 520mbps I would be looking at the cable going to the modem.

Even a very cheap router can do almost 1gbit of traffic wan/lan. Now if you have configured any form of traffic filter or firewall that may be what is slowing it down. I would factory reset the device and then only configure the admin and wifi passwords leave all the other setting default.

Dec 25, 2021
That is strange when you look that part number up they call it a ONT. That generally means it has a fiber connection. If it did you would not be able to replace the device with your tplink router.

This means you must have some kind of modem or a actual ONT that you are plugging these routers into.

So I assume you are testing with just a single deco unit and you have plugged the game console directly into one of the lan ports. If the test program on the tplink did not test at 520mbps I would be looking at the cable going to the modem.

Even a very cheap router can do almost 1gbit of traffic wan/lan. Now if you have configured any form of traffic filter or firewall that may be what is slowing it down. I would factory reset the device and then only configure the admin and wifi passwords leave all the other setting default.

Yes so we have the 5G modem attached to the house outer wall. Inside the house it connects to some kind of an adapter and then to the Huawei wifi. So I did some more troubleshooting this evening... I ensured only the main Deco was attached, removed 'gaming' QoS mode and removed my son's computer from device high priority list. I don't know if this had an impact, but now when connecting both Deco and Huawei simultaneously to the PS5 I get similar results of around 420mbps. I even clocked a record with the Deco at 530mbps. Only once did I get a poor results with the Deco, at around 270mbps, but that must have been a fluctuation on the actual 5G modem signal since I have a LAN cable from Deco to the PS5.

I have now turned on my other two Deco M5 in the house. The strange thing is that results seem to be fluctuating quite a bit. I'm checking that my iPhone is connected to the main Deco, and some times I get 420mbps, sometimes 150mbps, and sometimes around 60mbps. The PS5 with LAN gives constant performance. I've tried the Deco network optimisation tool, but it gives perfect network status. I have no idea why the speed test fluctuates between 60-420mbps on my iPhone.

So still heavy fluctuations, but at least at times I get good performance. PS5 speed test with LAN to Deco gives constant good results; I haven't been able to replicate the 40mbps over LAN which I got earlier. Could it be turning off the QoS fixed that issue?

Dec 25, 2021
... ok now my PS5 gives 90mbps in speed test with both Huawei and Deco, whereas my iPhone still gets 400+mbps. I don't know what to believe in anymore :D