Question TP Link Gigabit Powerline transfer rate is high, but actual internet speed test is slow

Aethosity1

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Hi there,

As stated above, I have a TPlink powerline adapter connecting a PC about 15ft away from a router in another room. The transfer rate on the TPlink app reports as anything between 500mbit and 750mbit, but a speed test on the PC reports between 100mbit and 130mbit down. My connection speed directly from the router is approx. 900mbit. Any ideas why I am getting such slow speed to the PC despite the transfer rate being so high?

Which powerline units did you buy. Your results are slightly slow for the best units, ie the ones with a 1000-2000 number, but is more or less what is most people get. If you are very lucky you might get 300. The numbers on powerline units are marketing lies. Like many consumer network things they are doing stuff like add the transmit and receive speeds together. This is like calling a gigabit cable 2gbit except a ethernet cable can actually run 1gbit up and down simultaneously.

If you have coax cables in both rooms you might consider moca. These units can actually get full gigabit speeds, not so sure they can get 1gbit up and 1gbit down at the same time but they are about as close as you can get to ethernet.

As stated above, I have a TPlink powerline adapter connecting a PC about 15ft away from a router in another room.

It's not 15 feet away unless both rooms are on the same breaker and wiring is daisy chained from 1 room to the next. Most likely they're not. So the data has to travel all the way down to the basement into the breaker panel, through the panel and out of another breaker, then all the way back up to the next room.

The transfer rate on the TPlink app reports as anything between 500mbit and 750mbit, but a speed test on the PC reports between 100mbit and 130mbit down. My connection speed directly from the router is approx. 900mbit. Any ideas why I am getting such slow speed to the PC despite the transfer rate being so high?

I think a better term is the "negotiated connection rate." This is just like wifi so the actual speeds will be much lower than the connection rate. 100mb to 130mb is typical for most of the powerline setups I've seen in the real world.

Like Bill said, MOCA is the best option if you have coax cable outlets in both rooms. You can actually get full gigabit speed with Moca 2.0/2.5 adapters.