Question TP Link Network switch speed issues.

Toddie86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
I recently picked up a TL-SG1005P network switch as my router didn't contain enough ethernet ports.

I also need power over ethernet (POE) to send internet to my office on the other side of the house. I had a single ethernet POE before and this would send my 250mbps signal over to my office no problem.

I've swapped out my old POE to the TP Link one above. (all other connections are the same) but it doesn't recognise the connected device as being able to receive speeds over 100mbps. As a result my speed to my office is now limited to just 90mbps.

I'm unsure if the switch is faulty or if there's something that can be done that I'm missing which is a quick fix for this?

Many thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I recently picked up a TL-SG1005P network switch as my router didn't contain enough ethernet ports.

I also need power over ethernet (POE) to send internet to my office on the other side of the house. I had a single ethernet POE before and this would send my 250mbps signal over to my office no problem.

I've swapped out my old POE to the TP Link one above. (all other connections are the same) but it doesn't recognise the connected device as being able to receive speeds over 100mbps. As a result my speed to my office is now limited to just 90mbps.

I'm unsure if the switch is faulty or if there's something that can be done that I'm missing which is a quick fix for this?

Many thanks!
This is most likely a cabling issue. Moving the cables could have changed the connection on one of the eight individual wires in the ethernet cable.
If you have "cross house" wiring you need a basic tester -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Connections-Klein-Tools-VDV526-200/dp/B0925826M2
Or it could be wall plate "keystone" jacks that need attention.
BUT, it is almost always a cable issue when you get 100Mbit connectivity.

Toddie86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
This is most likely a cabling issue. Moving the cables could have changed the connection on one of the eight individual wires in the ethernet cable.
If you have "cross house" wiring you need a basic tester -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Connections-Klein-Tools-VDV526-200/dp/B0925826M2
Or it could be wall plate "keystone" jacks that need attention.
BUT, it is almost always a cable issue when you get 100Mbit connectivity.
Thank you, I should have said above also though that I put the old POE back and the speed is straight back up to 250mbps.

This makes me think it's not the cables as the only change is the box itself.

Toddie86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Thank you, I should have said above also though that I put the old POE back and the speed is straight back up to 250mbps.

This makes me think it's not the cables as the only change is the box itself.
I will take a look at the tester though too. Thanks

You should be able see the port speed by the lights on the switch. It is highly unlikely it is a bad port. I would first check that the cable to the router is running at 1gbit. Then move the cable to all the ports on the switch and make sure they all run at 1gbit.

Ethernet cables can be very strange at times when they fail. They can work on some devices and not others. Very hard to test these type of issues with the cheap testers since they just basically hook a battery and led to the wires they do not test if data can pass.

In most cases with in wall cabling one wire is just not making proper contact with the jack. You can generally pull out 1 wire at a time and then repunch it down and it will correct it.

Be sure your patch cables are not those flat cables. Those cable do not have the proper wire size to actually meet the specs for ethernet cables. Longer distances and usage of POE tend it make them more likely to not function properly.

Toddie86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
I've checked the light on all four ports. They are all showing as 100mbps (yellow).

It seems like something is going on with the cable that runs through the walls. Although it's brand new and works fine with the old switch I'm not getting lights at the receiving end at all with either the old or new switch. (the receiver is a TP-link EAP235 Wall Plate).

The wall cable isn't a flat one but looks like it might need to have the ends rewired if that's what's confusing the switch.

Will need to get the electrician back that fitted it all the other month.