TP Link range extender won't connect

jwathas

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I'm hoping that someone can help us before this makes us even crazier than it already has! We purchased a TP Link RE450 wireless range extender for our home and we cannot for the life of us get it to work. We followed the instructions to a T, but neither my husband or I can get it to connect to the internet, and we are both quite tech savvy (especially my husband). We plugged the extender in, then went to one of our MacBooks and the TP Link showed up in our wireless networks, so we connected to it and it automatically brought up the setup utility, which we went through (multiple, multiple times). It finds our Netgear router and shows full signal strength, so we selected our router and continued through the setup process. Then, the extender proceeds to reboot; however, it will NOT establish an internet connection. After it reboots, there is a red X next to internet in the TP Link utility, meaning that it's not connected, even though the range extender is lit up in blue, indicating that it has a solid connection to our router. Then, the range extender disappears from our wireless networks and we have to reset the extender and go through the entire setup process all over again, only to have the same results. In fact, at one point we got an error saying that it was unable to connect to the range extender and said to try moving closer to the router. We were about 2-3 feet away from the router! We drove ourselves insane for hours trying to get this to work yesterday and finally gave up last night. We really need this to work! Does anyone have any tips on how to get this thing to actually establish an internet connection?