TP Link range extenders

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I have an Asus RT-AC1200G+ router and I need to extend the range down the road and into my mates house so was looking at getting 2 range extenders, now the only ones i cab get quickly where I live are TP Link ones?
Will they behave with my Asus router? The last time I played with TP Link range extenders they worked with other TP Link hardware but not so great with other routers
I am looking at TP Link
RE200
RE350
RE450
RE580D
RE355

I can also get the D Link DAP-1665, which has detachable antennas, is it possible to have the AP inside and attach an antenna via a cable and just have the antenna outside?

Thanks

Solution
If you mix and match manufacturer's device then any problems you encounter will likely be blamed on the "other guy" when you call for manufacturing support.

That said if you have had problems with TP-Link and Asus then set that aside and try the D-link.

As for the antenna's check the specifications. If they are not rated for exterior use you may void warranties by doing so. Even if the antennas do work outside for a while.

No harm, I think in trying a fair weather setup and test accordingly. May provide some additional insight into things and perhaps other viable options.

Maybe you could build some small structure to help protect the antenna(s). Probably risky but that would be up to you.

Ralston18

Titan
If you mix and match manufacturer's device then any problems you encounter will likely be blamed on the "other guy" when you call for manufacturing support.

That said if you have had problems with TP-Link and Asus then set that aside and try the D-link.

As for the antenna's check the specifications. If they are not rated for exterior use you may void warranties by doing so. Even if the antennas do work outside for a while.

No harm, I think in trying a fair weather setup and test accordingly. May provide some additional insight into things and perhaps other viable options.

Maybe you could build some small structure to help protect the antenna(s). Probably risky but that would be up to you.

Solution

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012

Yes thats exactly what I'm worried about......

I cant remember exactly what router wouldnt work with a TP Link extender before, but it was a few years ago and I have been reading many reviews and they do say they have improved now and will work with any make so think I will just have to go for it and see what happens...