TP-Link Router to Desktop Switch to PC issue - invalid IP address

jeffreyedgar

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
The equipment is TP-Link TC-7620 DOCSIS 3.0 (16x4) Cable Modem, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Network Switch and a TP-Link AC1900 Smart Wireless Router. When connecting a Win 10 desktop pc using ethernet connection to the switch, no internet connection is made. Troubleshooting reveals an invalid IP address message. Tried many different tweaks from "experts". A less elegant solution is modem to router to switch to pc. The preferred simpler solution is modem to switch to pc. Than will eliminate clutter and another bridge router to supply more ethernet ports. Any opinions on why the modem to desktop switch to pc config is unsuccessful. I have tried a multitude of tweaks to setup. Is there a utility that can assist me if solutions are not known.

kanewolf

Titan
Your ISP only provides a single IP address. The first device (or maybe the "remembered" device) gets the public IP. You can't have two devices connected to a modem via a switch. Only one of them will work. It HAS to be modem -> router -> switch (if required) -> wired devices.

jeffreyedgar

Distinguished
May 15, 2013

jeffreyedgar

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Thank you for your explanation. I had a revelation as I laid in bed. Once I listed the actual equipment being used, it finally lead to me wondering what is the difference between a modem and a router. I researched the difference which lead me to understanding why I was not able to accomplish the solution that I chose. Your explanation pointed out the issue.