TP LINK Router WAN problem

rhd1989

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hey guys,

I really hope some one can help me with this;

I have cable internet and I use a tp link router so I can have WiFi for laptops/smartphones in the house. It's been working like this for the past 2 or 3 years. Recently it stopped working so I tried what I knew to get it working again but now I'm stuck. I'm not a total noob to this so I checked the router page (using 192.168.1.1) and the only thing I could see wrong there was a message saying "WAN is disconnected!". The cables are in the right place, I've tried rebooting, tried the 8.8.8.8 as a primary DNS server, renewing the IP address, hard resetting both the modem and the router, cloning the MAC Address, and I'm kind of out of idea's. I've googled "wan is disconnected" but I found nothing. There are a lot of question's and answers concering "WAN PORT is unplugged" or something but that's not the message I'm getting.

Come to think of it; there was a lighting strike that hit nearby the other day and the electricity was out for like 2 hours, could that have anything to do with it? The lights on the router are on, except for the WAN light, which is off.

All help is welcome :))

Solution
I don't need to know since I don't have one. You can possibly check revision notes to see if anything pertains to your symptom but, if one exists..... it certainly couldn't make things worse for you so I would just install/patch it.

Near lightning strikes can damage antennae and their circuitry. This happens more with outdoor antennae in my experience.
I don't need to know since I don't have one. You can possibly check revision notes to see if anything pertains to your symptom but, if one exists..... it certainly couldn't make things worse for you so I would just install/patch it.

Near lightning strikes can damage antennae and their circuitry. This happens more with outdoor antennae in my experience.

Solution

rhd1989

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Update: I had to buy a new router. It all works fine now.

Thank you guys !