TP Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless Network Card

Skibbidy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I am installing a wireless network card for the first time ever. I've built probably 20-30 PC's, but honestly never have installed one of these. I have always ran a wired connection, but recently have been in a situation where I could really use a wireless connection. I purhcased the above card. Link is also here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133&cm_re=tp_link_tl_wdn4800-_-33-704-133-_-Product

However, when I install the card into the PCI-E slot I get an error message when my initial boot screen comes up. It says something along the lines of: make sure to plug in your 4 pin power cable from your psu to your motherboard. As soon as I take the card out of the PCI-E slot, no more error message and the PC boots up just fine.
Now the dumb question is, does this card go into the same kind of slot as my graphics card would? I have two 970's in SLI and then I have this wireless card I am trying to add into an additional slot. Any feedback or suggestions?

Solution
Sounds like it is drawing more power than your motherboard can support for the slot that it is in.

Yes, you could technically put a pci express x1 card into a pci express x16 (GPU) slot. If you have some other pci express slots to try out then I would try placing it around and see if one takes.

Other wise you may need to get a better motherboard or just opt for a USB wireless adapter. Also I highly recommend upgrading your wireless to AC, really makes a difference in speed, especially the farther you get away from your router.
Sounds like it is drawing more power than your motherboard can support for the slot that it is in.

Yes, you could technically put a pci express x1 card into a pci express x16 (GPU) slot. If you have some other pci express slots to try out then I would try placing it around and see if one takes.

Other wise you may need to get a better motherboard or just opt for a USB wireless adapter. Also I highly recommend upgrading your wireless to AC, really makes a difference in speed, especially the farther you get away from your router.

Solution