TP-LINK TL-WN851ND and Windows 10

xaryon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Hello,

me and my friends built our friend a small PC for gaming and since he cannot plug in the ethernet cable, we went with TP-LINK TL-WN851ND for wireless. The card works on PCI slot, the only free slot we had left on motherboard.
The whole system works on Windows 10. However, there is a problem with drivers - at first, the card kept disconnecting the wireless connection, even when then router was just on the other side of the wall.
Now, the whole PC keeps freezing and throwing watchdog_out errors.

So my question is: can you guys come up with a solution to this problem?

If he did have a ethernet port on his computer.

But the problem was he could not run an ethernet cable to the router for a wired connection.
I would of considered going the power line adapter method through the house electrical ring main.

You would get a better through put in Mbps and no wi-fi drop out or disconnection.

There are a few other things you should try however.
The first is to disable the lan adapter of the computer if using a Pci wi-fi based card.
The second thing to do is to check what wi-fi speed the pci adapter card can work at.
And at what Ghz frequency 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz. if of a N type speed of 150 or 300 Mbps.

Once you have this information.
Login to the wi-fi router.

And check to see what speed it is set at to broadcast the wi-fi network.
If the speed selected is set slightly higher than the Pci card can manage lower it to the speed in the router the adapter says it can work at. and what Ghz range and 2.4Ghz if the router is broadcasting at 5Ghz.

This will stop any dropouts or disconnection the adapter may have when connected to the routers wi-fi broadcast of the network.

The watchdog error is related to a device where a signal or request was sent but not received by a device after a set amount of time, and this can often happen when an adapter cannot keep up with the speed of the wi-fi signal that the router is broadcasting at.

In most new systems or should I say in the bios of the motherboard you can disable the onboard lan or ethernet on the motherboard so see if you can disable it from there Xaryon.

Also if you used the driver from the supplied cd or disk that came with the pci adapter card.

Have a look on the TP link website and the support page for a more up to date driver.