[SOLVED] TP Link TL-WR940N port forward 80 to 80 (changing default port of web interface)

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I have a TP Link TL-WR940N and there is a webserver behind it. We have a fixed IP and I want to port forward 80 0n the server to port 80 in the outside world. It does not seem to want to let me do this as 80 is the port it uses for the admin interface.

Having a different port for the web interface seems a solution but can't work out how to do this.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Ben

PS Not not sure if this is the best place to ask this (best place on Toms Hardware but if anyone knows a better place elsewhere please let me know).

Solution
So although it is not a good idea long term set your router to allow remote management. You goal here is to see if you get the management screen at all from the internet. Your ISP may be blocking port 80 or you may not have a public ip.

If that works I would set your internal computer to DMZ mode and set the internal computer to respond to 8080 or maybe some other ports.

Unless you have a extremely simple web site you can not just map port 8080 to port 80 in the router. Most web servers send back more URL links pointing to other pages on the server. The server will generally not know that a router translated the port so these new links will not have 8080 on them. I am no server expert maybe there is a way to configure the...

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
That exactly what I did but we are trying to set up a failover server in the office so we need to use port 80.

Do you know of any ones that allow it, preferably reasonably priced?

So although it is not a good idea long term set your router to allow remote management. You goal here is to see if you get the management screen at all from the internet. Your ISP may be blocking port 80 or you may not have a public ip.

If that works I would set your internal computer to DMZ mode and set the internal computer to respond to 8080 or maybe some other ports.

Unless you have a extremely simple web site you can not just map port 8080 to port 80 in the router. Most web servers send back more URL links pointing to other pages on the server. The server will generally not know that a router translated the port so these new links will not have 8080 on them. I am no server expert maybe there is a way to configure the server to detect this but any links being sent back to the client must be modified because the router does not change anything that is actually inside a data packet.

Besides I would recommend you use port 443 and anyway you should not be running unencrypted web pages anymore.

Solution

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Yes for 443 but there are non https links in the wild so we want 80 to work, even if we then redirect to 443.

This is also why 8080 wont work, to many links in the wild.

The simplest solution seems to be to get a new router which allows this but not sure how to look for one. What phrases should I be googling for?