[SOLVED] TP-LINK VR400 is dropping internet connection several times per day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2021
I changed my ISP a few weeks ago. OK for first week. Then started dropping internet every couple of days. Now dropping several times per day.

I reconfigured router per ISP instructions, using 192.168.1.1

Now, when router drops, I can restore connection for half an hour up to a couple of hours by unplugging DSL cable for 5 seconds (per ISP instructions). That always works - after about 2 minutes.

Question: What is likely to be at fault?

• ISP
  • Router
For info: My previous ISP did not drop a connection for 9 years :) As a result, all my internet connection knowledge is well out of date.

Thanks

Added:

When dropping internet first started about a week ago, the Internet light on router went out.

Now, when internet drops, the light stays on. The only way I know that internet has dropped is from Smart TV, and web pages in browser not refreshing.

After unplugging DSL cable for 5 seconds, Internet light is last to come on - after a few minutes.

Last edited:
Solution
In theory it could be the router....and the ISP will always try to blame it unless you rent one from them and somehow magically those device are never the cause.

In most cases it is a problem with the wires coming to your house. I would check all the wires inside your house for obvious issues. If possible run a phone line directly from where the line comes into the house to your router or move the router near the jack. This is purely so the ISP does not try to blame the wires inside your house.

After this there is not much you can do. You can look at the log messages in the router and maybe look to see if the power levels are ok but many DSL routers have very limited information.

In the end the ISP needs to come out and...
In theory it could be the router....and the ISP will always try to blame it unless you rent one from them and somehow magically those device are never the cause.

In most cases it is a problem with the wires coming to your house. I would check all the wires inside your house for obvious issues. If possible run a phone line directly from where the line comes into the house to your router or move the router near the jack. This is purely so the ISP does not try to blame the wires inside your house.

After this there is not much you can do. You can look at the log messages in the router and maybe look to see if the power levels are ok but many DSL routers have very limited information.

In the end the ISP needs to come out and test the line going to your house. They may have configured something wrong or it could be some splice in the path has worked loose in one of the many boxes on the street or telephone poles.

Reactions: toms38
Solution
Sep 22, 2021
@bill001g

I had a chat with ISP. They recommended connecting my router directly to the Test Socket, inside the Master Socket. (These terms were unknown to me 24 hours ago.)

I did that last night, about 7pm. When I looked in router log at 5:30 am today, I found only 2 entries for "LCP down":

2021-09-23 23:53:06 [3] PPP: ppp0 LCP down
2021-09-23 23:53:06 [4] PPP: ppp0 LCP down

I would be grateful if someone told me what [3]
and [4] mean.

Does anyone have a good link that teaches idiots such as myself the IMPORTANT things to look for in the router log, and ignores the hundreds of FOR INFO lines?

As a result of the Master Socket test, I have a new question, but I'd better create a new post for that.

Thanks for your help.

That is even a question I would like to know. There is very little documentation of router log messages by the manufactures.

That message could just be when you plugged the router in the first time.

What you need to try to do is match the times on the router log messages with the times you see a problem. You would hope you would see some message when your pc thinks the internet went down.

What ISP is trying to do is eliminate wiring issues inside your house by having you in effect run a new wire to the data connection. If it works when connected like this you need to see what might be wrong with the wires when you connected it the original way.

Reactions: toms38
Sep 22, 2021
What ISP is trying to do is eliminate wiring issues inside your house by having you in effect run a new wire to the data connection. If it works when connected like this you need to see what might be wrong with the wires when you connected it the original way.

I now have my router connected to the Master Socket in the hall. It's now 48 hours since I dropped the internet.

I think I'll just leave the router in the hall. Everyone in the house gets good reception.

That means I'll never know what the issues were with my usual router position. But I can live with that :)

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.