[SOLVED] TPLink and DLink routers as wifi extender

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hi, I am using a TPLink TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND router as my main router and I want to use another router, model Dlink DIR605L as a wifi network extender. I have a connection cable between the TPLink LAN port and Dlink WAN Port, but I don't know how to set Dlink as an extender. I even don't know if this is possible, because I read on a forum that the Dlink cannot be configured as a network extender.
Is there any possibility to extend my WIFI network using the Dlink router ?

Mention: The TPLink router is situated in a building (let's say building A), while the Dlink router is situated in another building (let's say building B) and I want to use the same WIFI in both buildings, because when I move from building A to building B, then the smartphone doesn't connect automatically to the router in building B and keeps connected with a very weak signal to the router situated in building A. Same thing applies when moving from building B to builind A.

Solution
For your first part, the term you're looking for is Access Point, not "extender".

The How To basics are here:

For your second part...yes. WiFi is/was never really for seamless roaming. The end device (phone/laptop) is in control of the connection, and will not give up a working connection even if you are standing right next to a better one.

USAFRet

Titan
For your first part, the term you're looking for is Access Point, not "extender".

The How To basics are here:

For your second part...yes. WiFi is/was never really for seamless roaming. The end device (phone/laptop) is in control of the connection, and will not give up a working connection even if you are standing right next to a better one.

Solution
Do you have an iPhone? iPhones do have fast roaming(802.11r, 802.11k, and 802.11v). Also, windows 10 laptops have fast roaming as long as the wifi adapter supports it and so do many quality android phones.

The problem is, you will NOT get fast roaming by using a hodge-podge of network equipment. You need a system that actually works together. These fast roaming standards allow the client to authenticate much quicker with the next access point. The access points also do a site survey to understand what other access points are around them and even make recommendations to the client to move to another access point, so access point latching is less prevalent like in your case.