[SOLVED] TPLink Powerline Adapter Loses Connectivity

Jan 28, 2020
I own these TP Link Powerline adapters from TP Link and they have served me well for a few years now. Lately, however, I would lose internet to the devices I have them connected to (a desktop PC and a laptop, both via Ethernet cable). The connection drops for like a minute or so, then it would come back online. When I did an ipconfig/all check, it says all 3 adapters Media State = Media Disconnected, even when they are providing internet to my devices. Any idea what the issue could be?

Solution
You'll need to really look around for stuff on the same circuit as it may be in another room.

As far as the second experiment, the idea is to isolate the powerline units on their own circuit--which a power strip will essentially do. Then you try to use them as normal by plugging in the various devices into the powerline ehternet jacks and see if you have the same issue or not. If you don't, then the powerlines are working as they should on a 'clean' circuit.
Sometimes it is just the wiring aging, but most of the time when powerlines change it is something that has been added or changed on the power circuit--sometimes something as simple as a phone charger plugged in somewhere that wasn't before. I'd start with that first.

The other experiment I would try is to put all 3 units on a power strip and see if they disconnect in that environment. If they do, something has gone wrong with the units or maybe just one of them. Because you have 3, you can then test them in pairs of two to isolate if it is a particular one that went bad.

Jan 28, 2020
Sometimes it is just the wiring aging, but most of the time when powerlines change it is something that has been added or changed on the power circuit--sometimes something as simple as a phone charger plugged in somewhere that wasn't before. I'd start with that first.

The other experiment I would try is to put all 3 units on a power strip and see if they disconnect in that environment. If they do, something has gone wrong with the units or maybe just one of them. Because you have 3, you can then test them in pairs of two to isolate if it is a particular one that went bad.

Ran the 1st experiment; confirmed it's not that. As for the second, when you say put them on a power strip, do you mean remove them from the wall socket and put them all on the strip while connected to the devices? I thought powerlines aren't supposed to go on those?

You'll need to really look around for stuff on the same circuit as it may be in another room.

As far as the second experiment, the idea is to isolate the powerline units on their own circuit--which a power strip will essentially do. Then you try to use them as normal by plugging in the various devices into the powerline ehternet jacks and see if you have the same issue or not. If you don't, then the powerlines are working as they should on a 'clean' circuit.

Solution
Jan 28, 2020

Got it. I'll run this experiment over the weekend and see if anything turns up.

TRENDING THREADS