[SOLVED] TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot problems with UEFI on Windows 11, ROG GX502GW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adheper

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

I tried to launch Valorant for the first time two days ago since I installed Windows 11 a couple of months ago, and am getting an error message saying TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are required. While trying to fix the issue I found inconsistencies with my UEFI settings.

TPM 2.0:
Both my Settings (Under Security Devices) and tpm.msc say I have TPM 2.0 enabled. PCHealthCheckup says I have TPM 2.0 installed.
BUT, I do not have the relevant settings in my UEFI settings.

Secure Boot:
Secure Boot is stated to be enabled on my Settings, PCHealthCheckup, and System Information. BUT, it is greyed out and says Not Active in my UEFI settings.

Images are here:
View: https://imgur.com/a/aOXHDKd

So... Any idea what the issue is and how to fix it? I am assuming it has to do with my UEFI. I don't know what other information I should provide. I contacted both ASUS and Valorant support, but they both sent me links to guides to enable TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot through my UEFI settings which, as you can tell, does not work. It seems more like my UEFI doesn't recognize the TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot options.

Solution
So... Any idea what the issue is and how to fix it?
You have to go into key management and load default keys.
Reboot your pc and Secure boot should change to active and platform mode to user.
(read that small note at the bottom of the screen)

hq24bwZ.jpeg

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
you shouldn't be able to install win 11 without those 2 enabled.

For Win 11, TPM needs to be enabled, yes. But secure boot does not. Win 11 only requires that the system is capable of secure boot - never says it has to be enabled.

Although Valorant, for some reason, does seem to require it to be enabled. Which is weird because if it's installed on a machine with Win 11 already, why does it care?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know about the Secure boot thing, I don't have it on myself and been on Win 11 since August.

Valorant just thinks it owns his PC. It has ring 0 access, same as Kernel. It knows PC can run Secure Boot and is insisting. I assume it is one more way to ensure people don't cheat.
Its a pain in the neck if you ask me.

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
I know about the Secure boot thing, I don't have it on myself and been on Win 11 since August.

Valorant just thinks it owns his PC. It has ring 0 access, same as Kernel. It knows PC can run Secure Boot and is insisting. I assume it is one more way to ensure people don't cheat.
Its a pain in the neck if you ask me.
Understood. And I agree.

adheper

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
You have to go into key management and load default keys.
Reboot your pc and Secure boot should change to active and platform mode to user.
(read that small note at the bottom of the screen)

hq24bwZ.jpeg
Yep, this solved for me.

Addressing the previous questions, I have a Zephyrus S GX502GW - from that weird few months before the release of RTX 3080, when very few laptops had RTX 2060/70/80 GPUs installed. It hasn't let me down at anything yet, though finding support has been an issue. I do have the latest BIOS update but I wouldn't be surprised if the 'latest' one isn't that up-to-date. My UEFI settings right now have maybe 2/3rds of the Advanced settings tabs the guides show. Not sure what that's about.

These were the links provided by Asus Support, which are only about TPM. I don't know why they chose to ignore the Secure Boot side of the issue completely:
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1046215/
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1046308/

Valorant was giving the error, but it's fixed after I loaded default keys. Since I didn't have the relevant settings tab for TPM, I had assumed that was the cause. I still don't know why I don't have the ability to enable/disable TPM 2.0 from UEFI but I'll leave that to the next time something goes wrong.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.