[SOLVED] TPM-LR20 Module

omatics

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Does anyone know where to purchase a TPM-LR20 ver2.0, 20-1 pin module. This is the security module required to upgrade to Windows 11. The locations I searched on the Internet all show out of stock

Solution
First off, you will need to wait and see what everyone else outside of people on the insider program have to say about the OS when it see release to the masses. Second off, you might already have support for TPM 2.0 on your motherboard. You might need to be patient for your motherboard manufacturer to roll out support for the new OS. Some boards have TPM on them, you just need to enable it in BIOS. third off, the way things are going is absurd, first was the cryptocurrency mining fiasco, then the pandemic putting a strain on components/goods/logistics and now people are price gouging TPM modules in hopes people will jump onboard the silly Windows 11 bandwagon.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, you will need to wait and see what everyone else outside of people on the insider program have to say about the OS when it see release to the masses. Second off, you might already have support for TPM 2.0 on your motherboard. You might need to be patient for your motherboard manufacturer to roll out support for the new OS. Some boards have TPM on them, you just need to enable it in BIOS. third off, the way things are going is absurd, first was the cryptocurrency mining fiasco, then the pandemic putting a strain on components/goods/logistics and now people are price gouging TPM modules in hopes people will jump onboard the silly Windows 11 bandwagon.

Solution

omatics

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Thanks for you reply. In my case I have the TPM 20-1 connector on my older Asus MB. All I need is the module. It looks like they never may be available although I saw one for over $200 which I can't afford. On the other hand your points are well taken. My Windows 10 does everything I need and it will be supported through 2025. I always like to keep up with the latest but from what I read Windows 11 doesn't really offer anything that great.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Thanks for you reply. In my case I have the TPM 20-1 connector on my older Asus MB. All I need is the module. It looks like they never may be available although I saw one for over $200 which I can't afford. On the other hand your points are well taken. My Windows 10 does everything I need and it will be supported through 2025. I always like to keep up with the latest but from what I read Windows 11 doesn't really offer anything that great.
  1. 2020, COVID
  2. 2021 Chip-shortage, high prices
  3. Sometime before 2024, lots of cheap chips.
As @Lutfij said, there's a chip shortage going on. Unless you absolutely need Windows 11 right now, the suggestion is to wait. TPM chip manufacturing should ramp up and eventually they should become much cheaper.

Please don't spend $200 for a $20 chip that you don't need right now.

Keep your eye out for when the prices drop.

Jul 8, 2021
Win 11 wont release until next year. No hurry to but TPM module. Im sure until then a lot will changes and TPM module will be widely available by then. Don't let the scalpers win!!