Question TPM + Windows 11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I am only an average user. I did luckily + successfully flash my BIOS ASUS z3390 TUF plus Gaming WI FI.
I noticed this new feature was installed. I think I read where TPM needs to be enabled for Windows 11.
My pc was built and is 3 years old but did not have TPM enabled till the flash. I realize how luckily I was not to brick my pc.
I think it is unfair to unskilled users to have to enable this TPM even if security is better.
We are not all trained and just buy a pc hoping it will work as is.. I don't think most consumers flash a bios.
I have had issues with Windows such as updates etc. causing issues.
Do you find fault with my assessment?

USAFRet

Titan
Many people do not buy a new pc every year and many are not lucky enough to be skilled users. If you are over 40 and buy a pc every 4-5 years it is hard to know things like flashing bios or even working within the UEFI at all. When you but a car you do not have to upgrade software.
If you buy a new PC every 5 years, you are completely covered as far as Win 11.

Anything probably 2017 or later will be able to upgrade to Win 11 easily, as long as the actual hardware (CPU) supports.
Anything before 2017 will be 9+ years old before Win 10 falls off support in 2025.

The vast majority of users do not upgrade their OS manually.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you are over 40 and buy a pc every 4-5 years
that sounds like me
it is hard to know things like flashing bios or even working within the UEFI at all.
careful how you generalize, computers aren't as new as you could think.

cars aren't a fair thing to compare. cars hardly change every year, they just look different maybe. PC change completely in short bursts. Unlike cars, only Apple computers change on outside but are generally the same inside each year, most other PC are constantly swapping parts out.

D

Deleted member 14196

you make these claims its so much more secure, but where is the documented proof? cybercriminals can still hack in.... I love my iPhone too but I am not claiming its so much more secure... well much better than Android which relies on open source code... I don't think it's more secure than Win10

Windows gets TARGETED more sure that's a fact, criminals love to hit it, but it has gotten much better. If you practice safe online habits, Windows Defender is all you need to stay secure.

I understand that you like the quality of the Apple Devices, but who doesn't... I love the phones and appletv but I can't buy their pcs because they ask too much for too little hardware. I would much rather have a tiny powerhouse of a pc on my desktop, and use apple devices with it like the iPad Pro (my son wants one for all his medical doctor study stuff so we are saving up for a Christmas gift)

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I usually perform an upgrade then using the MCT, perform a clean install. After cleaning up and when all is well, I image the system with Macrium. No passwords are in he machine and all is kept in 2 flash drives and an external drive, disconnected.
I agree all one does need with Windows is Defender and MBAM free run regularly. I run AdwCleaner occasionally.
I am in my 80's but still try to keep up.
Open the hood to a new car :)
Blessed Christmas.

you make these claims its so much more secure, but where is the documented proof?
Proof of what? That it's more secure? There's articles and papers on it. If you don't want to look for them, Apple's made a nice presentation about how they use something similar to TPM to prevent attacks on their platforms:

That it's actually prevented attacks? I don't really know, because I'm not aware of anyone who keeps tabs on what systems attackers tried to break into and failed. It also depends on if the system is even capable of detecting an attack was attempted. I would argue any attacker worth their salt would use methods that don't trigger logs, like trying to log into something and failing a dozen times. The rest are just script kiddies who think their Neo or something.

Plus if you've noticed, a lot of high profile attacks rely on taking advantage of trust. The Solar Winds hack was a supply chain attack, tainting the firmware of a trusted supplier to create problems. Ransomware attacks typically happen because someone fell for a phishing attempt.

Windows gets TARGETED more sure that's a fact, criminals love to hit it, but it has gotten much better. If you practice safe online habits, Windows Defender is all you need to stay secure.
There's a lot more to it than just those two.

you make these claims its so much more secure, but where is the documented proof? ...

These arguments about 'which is the more secure' among any modern OS is pretty much pointless since in the hands of a sufficiently competent administrator ANY OS can be made sufficiently secure.

What's probably more important is to know how secure any OS is...both immediately upon installation with default settings and after extended operation in a realistically dynamic environment...when administered by unknowledgeable or downright incompetent administrators. Those kind of like myself.

If you consider yourself in the former camp then just go ahead and install Linux, set it up solid and be prepared to keep it that way. But as for the rest of us bubble heads....well, for better or worse and the exchange of some anonymized useage telemetry the majority of us will just stick with Windows and let Microsoft handle the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

I think he was referring to a previous posters thought of Apple being more secure, just because its Apple and not Windows.

Not the TPM thing being secure or not.

I could be wrong, though.
Yes that is what I meant. IOS is not more secure

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
In post 37 I made an error. I feel Apple is more secure than Windows.
I began the thread to make the point that for those not trained and elderly UEFI is not easy yet needs attention for secure boot and boot order, and TPM etc..
If I had the resources I would buy Apple iPhone iPad and MacBook . Google cannot support all of its Google based phones.
My Galaxy 5 got 2-3 updates while the xr is still being updated.

In post 37 I made an error. I feel Apple is more secure than Windows.
ummm...yeah...you can believe it if you want.

"Your private life are belong to....Apple."

The major difference is Windows is a (relatively) open platform so that knowledgeable owners can further secure it against MS's intrusions while Apple OS is a closed platform leaving owners completely at the whims of Apple.

Last edited: