[SOLVED] tracert is showing only source and destination

HoloTheWise

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
TraceRT is always give me 2 hops, no matter the server I ping. (none are on the same network, or in the same state)

Example to my server in Amsterdam
Tracing route to no-reverse-yet.3winfra.com [192.162.13*.***]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Chef [192.168.1.1]
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms no-reverse-yet.3winfra.com [192.162.13*.***]

Any idea why its only giving me 2 hops? I'm east coast USA and the server is in Amsterdam.

and its not just with this IP. any IP I put in its always 2 hops...

This only started after I got verizon fios... I have a feeling it may be due to having my fios plugged right into my router and not using a modem maybe. I know more info will be needed but I'll try to provide as much as possable

Network layout
Fios box (ehternet) > Router > PC

I noticed something weird. When I do ipconfig it throws a local address at me for my IPV4

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : verizon.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4872:2316:7e0d:ac88%6
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.114
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

maybe these issues are connected

Solution
A single hop would be common if you had a vpn directly to the site but the latency is not.

It is impossible to get latency of 1ms to something that far away. You would have to have a magic ISP that has found a way to travel faster than the speed of light.

Make sure you ping via IP address and not name. A lot of sites use very multiple data centers very similar to this site which uses Akamai to improve the performance by distributing the traffic to multiple location.

A single hop would be common if you had a vpn directly to the site but the latency is not.

It is impossible to get latency of 1ms to something that far away. You would have to have a magic ISP that has found a way to travel faster than the speed of light.

Make sure you ping via IP address and not name. A lot of sites use very multiple data centers very similar to this site which uses Akamai to improve the performance by distributing the traffic to multiple location.

Solution