Track down hackers digitally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018
My bf and i have been hacked. Our 2 computers, 2 phones, and tablet aswell as all Bluetooth devices being controlled remotely. The personal fallout is yet unknown as we just caught on.i want to know how to hack the hackers. ONLY for proof of identity (and digitized proof) and legal action. How do i aquire their identities. I believe they are people we know. Im almost positive of this.

Solution
Don't reset everything. Check your DNS settings on all your devices and on your router. Disable remote access to your router. Run a malware scan of every device. If possible, run a full scan of every directory on every drive. If it doesn't stop I'd call the police. You need to have a good bit of experience in order to track down the alleged hackers. Have you recently called or been called by "Microsoft tech support?" If you really wanted to track them down I guess you could download WIreshark and try to pull their IP address from there, but if they really are hackers they are probably using a VPN, which would prevent you from finding their IP. If you choose to do this you would REALLY need to know what you're looking for though. I never...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What makes you think you were hacked? What evidence do you have?

You should change your router admin password and wireless network settings (new password). While you are at it, disable remote access to your router.

This also means that you'll need to change the wireless network settings for your devices. On all devices, you should scan for malware/viruses.

See here for more home cyber help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3098406/home-cybersecurity-recommendations.html

Mar 29, 2018
I know because 1 computer we open had an unrecognized icon on bottom bar. I opened it up and i think it was LAN the window had a sound bar that was recording us from all our devices. We couldn't figure out why our Bluetooth devices wouldn't connect. I got licked put as administrator on my comp account. Pass change aswell as locked out of our wifi.pass changed. Apps started appearing on our phones we didnt recognize.permissions would turn themselves off /on. Blinking unexplainable lights on phone. Calls would sound echoed or as though people were heard laughing that were not us in background.setting changes and lots of data wifi usage as well as remote access data sharing. On and on...We eill do what uou say bit may be too late. I want to know the hackers. I dont below they are too advanced. My boyfriend and i also suspect acquaintances.

SugarPsycho

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I would turn the phones and computers into the police for this, search for evidence on your own is difficult and for it to actually to work in court you need a lot of specialized hardware and software the police should hopefully have a team to work this out.

factory reset (usually via a hard to press/recessed button on bottom, or rear of router) to your router and phones, and 'nuke and pave' (delete partitions, format/reinstall) the computers....(you don't know *what* might have been installed, from rootkits, to keyloggers, etc..; nuke them from orbit!)

From uninfected computers (trusted relative/friend's homes, etc), change all passwords for all accounts of any importance....ASAP!

Set secure password for admin to router, and as mentioned above, disable wireless access for admin changes to router...

takochako

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Don't reset everything. Check your DNS settings on all your devices and on your router. Disable remote access to your router. Run a malware scan of every device. If possible, run a full scan of every directory on every drive. If it doesn't stop I'd call the police. You need to have a good bit of experience in order to track down the alleged hackers. Have you recently called or been called by "Microsoft tech support?" If you really wanted to track them down I guess you could download WIreshark and try to pull their IP address from there, but if they really are hackers they are probably using a VPN, which would prevent you from finding their IP. If you choose to do this you would REALLY need to know what you're looking for though. I never recommend nuking your devices unless there is literally no other option. Never reset your devices as anything except for a last resort, unless you have absolutely nothing of value stored on that device and that device only. Please let us know if you can tell us anything else, because that would really help us isolate and eliminate the problem.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.