Trackball or Mouse?

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi

anybody Tried the Trackballs?

is it Realy Much Comfort then mouse?

what is the best Trackball in the market?

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1444/trackballs.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPeYLnze6g&feature=related

mediaBankPreview.aspx

mediaBankPreview.aspx

mediaBankPreview.aspx

mediaBankPreview.aspx

800px-Trackball-Kensington-ExpertMouse5.jpg

There is no good reason to switch to a trackball, unless you have carpal tunnel issues. I've heard people who like them, but moving a mouse is more precise. Unless you have a reason to use one, I wouldn't. Button clicking is also going to be a bit harder, since your hand and fingers have to move across the ball, taking them out of position.

smokeyjon

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Mouse all the way. use to use a trackball years ago and didnt like it at all

not to mention if you do any gaming that requires a mouse the trackball wont give you proper control

"There is no good reason to switch to a trackball, unless you have carpal tunnel issues. I've heard people who like them, but moving a mouse is more precise. Unless you have a reason to use one, I wouldn't. Button clicking is also going to be a bit harder, since your hand and fingers have to move across the ball, taking them out of position."

sorry to say, this is only opinion not fact.

-trackballs are suggested for people with carpal tunnel but can also be used as a preventative measure instead. also some people just prefer them over mice since they are more comfortable with the interface. chalk it up to personal preferences not just phyiscal problems.
-trackballs are just as accurate as mice, you might just need different mouse speed settings to compensate and practice. a trackball also does not have mouse drag caused by worn teflon feet. in fact, a trackball could potentially be more accurate in some cases. since the larger ball allows you to precicely control the cursor or objects on screen.
-depending on the model of trackball you can control the ball with a few fingers and still have others free to click the buttons. to argue against this is just to admit that the user does not know how to properly use a trackball.

while i personally detest trackballs for my own use i do know of quite a few people in the professional field who swear by them. they are just as productive as other users with mice. the same can be said about ergonomic keyboards vs normal keyboards. there is no best solution, only a solution that is best for each and every individual person which they need to figure out.

----------------------

@ op

for windows tasks a trackball is equal to a mouse in performance.
for 3d tasks a trackball might be superior depending on the program.
for gaming a mouse might be superior for most people, although this is not to say that a person used to a trackball can not use it just as effectively.

most people seem to prefer the wedge shaped trackballs. the four button models are more suited to 3d or professional programs. if you can find a model with a scroll wheel (or substitute) then this might be a good idea. alternatively a keyboard might have a scroll wheel on it which you can use instead.

as far as what is best for you: think about what you need to do and why you are considering a trackball. then, if it suits your purposes go buy a model which suits your needs and try it out for as long as you can (typically the return period for the store). i would suggest 2weeks at least. once you become familiar with it you can judge which you like better: mice or trackballs.

remember, what you like could be different than what we like. pick what works for you, not what we say you should buy.

happy hunting.

EDIT: I just realized he didn't specify his use for the mouse or trackball. For general use, moving and selecting items in the most efficient way possible isn't really needed. In which case, comfort value may be a bigger value. The trackball difference is not using your arm at all, which can also be its disadvantage for gaming, but may be a comfort advantage. If you aren't looking at gaming, you can ignore what I have written below.

I realize a lot of these things are personal preference, however, there is a bit of science involved as well.

Perhaps calling it more accurate and precise isn't a good enough description. Trackballs require you to spin a ball then stop it when you reach your location. A mouse allows you to move your hand from point A to point B. If you set a trackball to be fine tuned for small motions, so you can have pinpoint accuracy, you then have a very difficult time spinning the ball a long distance and be accurate. If you set it up so you can move fast, your fine tune accuracy suffers. Using a mouse is as simple as moving your hand to a specific point, rather than spinning a ball and trying to stop it at the right point.

The other point is also quite valid. When you move the ball, your hand moves, while your buttons don't. That means that you lose a bit of timing on hitting your buttons. With a mouse, you move it with your arm, while your fingers stay exactly at the same point the whole time. With a track ball, this is not the case.

Sure, you can learn to be good with a trackball, but the actions involved are just not as convenient. If his reasons were not about considering what was best for gaming, then I would be down with it, but I would not switch to a trackball expecting to improve your skills in gaming.

@bystander

do not forget about the thumb-trackball mice. your entire hand is resting on top just like a mouse. on both this and the wedge shaped trackball you do not have to move your hand to spin the ball. i have personally tested this out. remember that different sized hands may have different results of course. how you use the device also comes into play.

a trackball might be better suited for micromovements then you think. a mouse often has trouble making micromovements due to the friction between the mouse bottom and the surface you are on causing it to drag and hold up. i can notice this even with a smooth mousepad and the huge teflon feet on the bottom of my razer. a trackball has very little drag at all and i'm not sure but they might even be made in optical format by now instead of the roller wheels.

as far as the pyramid shaped trackballs i agree with your consensus 100%.

as far as gaming is concerned, i prefer standard mice myself. i also believe mice are better suited to gaming then trackballs. however, i will not be one to say that gaming on trackballs is a bad idea or that you cannot be competitive with one.

in general i think we have many of the same opinions, i just have a slightly different perspective on things. i think we provided the op with quite a bit of information to digest and ultimately the op needs to give us a little more input .