[SOLVED] Tracking if Power was responsible for Black Screen?

Jun 23, 2021
Hi,

I want to find out if Power was responsible for any of the black screens for a few seconds I was experiencing over the last six months. Is there some sort of log I can look at to see if there were any errors from Power this past February and March? Is there any other way to test if Power might be responsible for black screens? I've heard Power can be a factor that can lead to black screens.

I am having black screens for a few seconds issue that I’ve seen many other posts about on Tom’s Hardware.

My PC Laptop is as follows:
Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2 in 1, purchased around 2018
i7-8550U
NVIDIA GeForce MX130
Dell Inc. 0PRWJ1
Installed RAM 16Gb
Philips 325E1C 32" Super-Curved Frameless Monitor, Quad HD 2K, 123% sRGB, 75Hz FreeSync, VESA (2 of these)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3

All Windows updates up to date
CPU Temperature 33 degrees Celsius
GPU Temperature – can provide if helpful, was having some issues with MSI Afterburner, I don’t usually game
All drivers are up to date
Monitors were 5 months old when problems started happening
Not a cables problem – unplugged them, plugged them back in, swapped them out with new ones, no behavior change
Had an IT expert check that my startup application settings are good

Many thanks for the help.

Solution
by "power" i am guessing you mean the wattage supplied by the power supply(or lack of).
and not just some app or device named Power?

the laptop wouldn't have come with an insufficient power supply or battery.
so unless you've upgraded\added a large amount of components & devices
or the system has just been degraded by harsh usage,
there really shouldn't be a problem with it.
if it's still under warranty, contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting or RMA.

most typical black screen issues are related to the graphical processor.
and the relation to power is just that there may not be enough wattage to run a powerful dedicated GPU efficiently.

do you also experience the same issue when using the laptop's onboard display?
Is there...
by "power" i am guessing you mean the wattage supplied by the power supply(or lack of).
and not just some app or device named Power?

the laptop wouldn't have come with an insufficient power supply or battery.
so unless you've upgraded\added a large amount of components & devices
or the system has just been degraded by harsh usage,
there really shouldn't be a problem with it.
if it's still under warranty, contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting or RMA.

most typical black screen issues are related to the graphical processor.
and the relation to power is just that there may not be enough wattage to run a powerful dedicated GPU efficiently.

do you also experience the same issue when using the laptop's onboard display?
Is there some sort of log I can look at
you can search for and check Windows' dump files for information regarding any crashing or other system errors.

but if it's just a black screen or a "no signal" warning on the display while the system is still running it may not be recording anything significant.

Solution
Jun 23, 2021
Yes, by "power" I mean "the wattage supplied by the power supply(or lack of)."
"most typical black screen issues are related to the graphical processor." Do you mean the graphics card and the graphics card driver?
"Do you also experience the same issue when using the laptop's onboard display?" If by onboard display, you mean the display that comes with my laptop, then yes, I experience black screens on the onboard display too.
Are Windows' dump files found in Windows Event Viewer?