Trackpoint and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

Hello NG,

I'm about to get a new laptop. Basically nothing is of interest to me
other than:
* it has to have a trackpoint (i DO NOT like these pads)
* it has to be supported for Linux as well

Now - I know a company that yells Linux, starts with an I and ends
with BM, that actually has a lot of those trackpoint Thinkpads. But -
they only support Win. So I'm not going to buy that piece.

Does anybody know about a (brand?) model that has what I need?

Best regards
Wolf

"Wolf" typed:

> Hello NG,
>
> I'm about to get a new laptop. Basically nothing is of interest to
> me other than:
> * it has to have a trackpoint (i DO NOT like these pads) * it has to
> be supported for Linux as well
>
> Now - I know a company that yells Linux, starts with an I and ends
> with BM, that actually has a lot of those trackpoint Thinkpads. But
> - they only support Win. So I'm not going to buy that piece.
>
> Does anybody know about a (brand?) model that has what I need?

http://www.linuxcertified.com/ sell laptops pre-loaded with Linux OSs.
You'll have to look for the trackpoint thingy yourself, though.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan

Not true Wolf! http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/

http://www-1.ibm.com/services/us/its/html/it-optimization-landing.html

--
Regards,

James

Wolf wrote:

>Hello NG,
>
>I'm about to get a new laptop. Basically nothing is of interest to me
>other than:
>* it has to have a trackpoint (i DO NOT like these pads)
>* it has to be supported for Linux as well
>
>Now - I know a company that yells Linux, starts with an I and ends
>with BM, that actually has a lot of those trackpoint Thinkpads. But -
>they only support Win. So I'm not going to buy that piece.
>
>Does anybody know about a (brand?) model that has what I need?
>
>Best regards
>Wolf

All of the linux distubutions have certified hardware lists, if you find
that a trackpoint device is support in earlier versions of linux, then
chances are pretty good with newer version. I'm installing SUSE v9.2
onto a TP A30 and the trackpoint works just great !! I will bet that any
of the major distros...mandrake, redhat, suse will provide support, the
trick is finding a distro that you are happy with and get good support.

good hunting...
tim.

--
AlnitakTek

ThinkPad A30 2652-33U
PIII @ 1.0 ghZ / 256 mb / 20 gb / 15" UXGA :)

Jesus Saves!!!
Gretzky grabs the rebound...Shoots...SCORES!!!!