Trading Computer Build

bulldogmack407

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
I am building a computer for trading stocks but I am new to custom computers. The only real major requirement is being able to run multiple screens 4+. I do not game so there is not really a need for high graphics. Most of the graphics are just charts and graphs. I would like it to be reasonably fast but am on a tight budget. As I said its not actually for gaming but I need to be able to efficiently run 4+ screens at once. How many watts of power should my PSU be? What kind of graphics card or cards should I buy? Hard drive, processor, I need to know all that. Thanks in advance!

sammy sung

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.78 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.98 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $808.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-27 15:05 EDT-0400

ToxicFantom

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

This is completely unnecessary and overkill for trading stocks. The gentleman said he was on "a tight budget". This is very expensive.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

Massive over kill. It would be better to have 16gig of ram, because I imagine he uses that more then GPU.

For CPU go with some an i5 something. Some people might suggest and i3, but the multi tasking is far snappier on an i5
For GPU get something that will run enough screens; looking around I see the GTX 950 can support 5 displays. Most cheaper GPU's only support 3 or less.
For Ram get 8-16gigs of corsair, G-skill, or crucial (more ram for more tabs or programs running at once)
For hard drive I suggest either a small SSD and HDD or just a small SSD, because SSD's are many times faster (unless you need tons of storage)
For MOBO Get some Asus, asrock or gigabyte,
For PSU get some 500 watt or so Seasonic, EVGA (select models), Antec, thermaltake, or XFX.

Solution

bulldogmack407

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
Thanks for the replies everyone, I currently run the trading program I use on an old Dell Optiplex GX620 with windows Vista ha! I know thats pretty much ancient and obsolete now but my point is it runs my program fine with 1 display. Correct me if im wrong but i really dont think such expensive hardware like what was suggested by Sammy Sung is necessary for my needs although I do appreciate the suggestions. To give you a better idea I would have just basic graphs and charts up on 2-3 of the screens and just internet browsers open on the other 1-2. I would still like the system to be fast and able to efficiently support my 4+ displays. I dont think I need very much storage im not installing games or saving many videos/photos. The files for the program I run are not that large either. I looked up CPU's and WOW their expensive for such a small component! I will start doing research on the stuff Iamsoda has listed.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

He wants 5 separate usable screen spaces not 4 mirrors and a screen. What is you budget? That might help? You will probably be stuck going with a GTX 950, because you want 5 screens support.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

Not all Ebay sellers are good, but get it from someone that has good ratings and you should be fine. Also paypal/ebay always has the buyer's back so you are insured. The worst he loses is time and I think his budget is more important then a week or 2. On other hand, I got screwed over by directron and won my paypal case. Sometimes real companies think they can bully little guys.

That combo isn't that great of a deal, I just want to throw that out there.