Tranquil PC Reveals Passively Cooled Intel NUC Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Haven't found any AMD NUCs...[/citation]

The Zbox from zotac is pretty good and small.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]$155 for the case? On top of the $300+ the NUC costs? $155 will get you a reasonably high-end desktop case.[/citation]

I'm also unsure why the case costs so much. It's literally a lump of metal worth maybe $5-10 at MOST?

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Haven't found any AMD NUCs...[/citation]
Because NUC is an Intel standard similar to the Ultrabook. AMD will probably have something very similar, but under a different name.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]$155 for the case? On top of the $300+ the NUC costs? $155 will get you a reasonably high-end desktop case.[/citation]
I could give you the same argument for tablets and $600 smartphones, but then the PC is dead and they're the future.....
/s
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I'm also unsure why the case costs so much. It's literally a lump of metal worth maybe $5-10 at MOST?[/citation]
Probably why it costs so much...it's a giant heatsink...remember the price of high end coolers? I'm not sure what it's made of, though.

It isn't cheap by any means, but then it'll make a dead quiet HTPC, and i guess that's worth it...

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Website now states that they'll ship to the US (estimated shipping to me, in the midwest, was an additional £30).

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
For those questioning the value - if you look at Streacom's passive cases, which also act as a heatsink, they start in the $160ish region and significantly higher. The Streacoms offer better cooling and flexibility, but they're also significantly larger. While the price on this Tranquil case isn't attractive, I'd say it's reasonable for being completely silent, dust-free and smallest in class.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]jnkweaver[/nom]For that price I would expect to see USB 3.0 slots[/citation]

There are only two versions of the Intel NUC - neither has USB3.0 headers, so why would you expect the case to have them?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It seems expensive for what it does (watching movies and streaming video for the most part). There are plenty of android based devices that do the same thing for 100-200 dollars complete. This thing would end up costing you almost 700 bucks to complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.