Transcend Announces 128GB Flash Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
now if only we could replace hds with something the size of flash drives and graphics cards would go down in size all my miniitxdreams could come true.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]velosteraptor[/nom]for $200 id rather buy a 2TB+ portable to lug around with me.[/citation]

Make sure that 2TB+ drive has some heavy-duty shock absorption. I've trashed a hard drive dropping it less than 1/4 inch.

rangas

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]now if only we could replace hds with something the size of flash drives and graphics cards would go down in size all my miniitxdreams could come true.[/citation]
ever heard of SSDs?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'd definitely buy this if the price was reasonable (100~110$ is the highest sum that I'll ever pay for any flash dongle, even if it's the top tier model). Transcend makes quite good flash dongles.
I have two of their dongles, 16GB and 32GB, and they serve me absolutely fine for more than 4 years now, without any problems at all.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]rangas[/nom]ever heard of SSDs?[/citation]

surprising as all heck, how even so called professional IT resellers still haven't adopted them, they think 128GB for $99 is too expensive, and not enough space. and then their head goes back into the sand.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]You're always walking around with SSD in the back pocket of your pants?[/citation]

lol. well, you really could. SSDs are about the size of my wallet (much thinner of course, especially the 7MM SSDs) i would just get a thin 2.5in drive casing or something to make sure it doesn't get damaged, and it actually would just be like having another wallet in your pocket. i could deal with that.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
128GB drive using USB2.0? Gosh, I already get impatient with USB2.0 speeds using my 16GB drives (to be fair, they are limited to about 20MB/s, but 30MB/s is not much better)...
The USB3.0 version "transfer rates" are up to 80MB/s.. but I wonder what the write speed is..
As usual, Kevin doesn't provide much useful (or reliable) information. Must be nice getting paid just to copy/paste information into an article, without doing any research (in other words, real work).
From information I found about previously released 32GB versions of the Jetflash 760 (up to 70MB/s read and 35MB/s write), I expect this 128GB drive to offer about 40MB/s write speeds. Not that great at all!
I see Patriot (benchmarked reads 200MB/s, writes 120MB/s) and Corsair (advertised reads 220MB/s, writes 130MB/s) drives that cost a lot less (below $140) and perform several times faster!
I only once bought a Transcend drive (16GB) a few years ago, due to it's high advertised speeds. After benchmarking it, turned out it offered that speed (over 30MB/s reads) for about the the last 3GB only, but only offered less than 50% (about 15MB/s reads) advertised speeds for the rest of the drive capacity. After some research, I found that this is how it was designed, and so my drive was not defective. Needless to say I felt totally mislead and cheated and will probably never trust Transcend again.

G

I will be picking a couple of these up in 2 or 3 years for 9.99 on sale at my local computer store

Status
Not open for further replies.