transfer alienware x51 r2 Motherboard to the corsair 760t???

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Can I transfer alienware x51 r2 Motherboard to the corsair 760t??? I believe that my mobo I a mini itx and the 760t is compatible

Solution
This is your motherboard:

HOT-For-DELL-font-b-Alienware-b-font-font-b-X51-b-font-intel-H61-font.jpg

Note the screw hole placements.

This is a standard m-ITX motherboard:

A455-8800_vmain01_jep_mn_7839116.jpg

Again, not the screw hole placements.

Since they both have the same screw hole placements, your motherboard conforms to m-ITX standards and is compatible with any ATX, m-ATX or m-ITX case, so it will fit in the 760T no problem :).

However, the IO shield seems to be part of the case, so you may not be able to remove it and fit in into your 760T.

Chayan4400

Honorable
This is your motherboard:

HOT-For-DELL-font-b-Alienware-b-font-font-b-X51-b-font-intel-H61-font.jpg

Note the screw hole placements.

This is a standard m-ITX motherboard:

A455-8800_vmain01_jep_mn_7839116.jpg

Again, not the screw hole placements.

Since they both have the same screw hole placements, your motherboard conforms to m-ITX standards and is compatible with any ATX, m-ATX or m-ITX case, so it will fit in the 760T no problem :).

However, the IO shield seems to be part of the case, so you may not be able to remove it and fit in into your 760T.

Solution

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Awesome thanks for the info, worst case scenario I'll buy another Motherboard and reinstall the stock r9 270x back into the x51 and keep it for other uses.

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Would you be able to tell me location of all the items I need to connect, I'm in the middle of plugging everything as I writes this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chayan4400

Honorable
The 24 pin ATX connector from the power supply plugs into the big black port on the motherboard.

The 4/8 pin CPU header from the PSU plugs into the 4 pin port at the top of your motherboard (If you have an 8 pin connector that says "CPU" on it, it should separate into 2 to make 2 4 pin ones).

All the small connectors from the front of the case will plug into the multicoloured port at the bottom of the motherboard, and each color represents a different connector from the front panel.

The white port with 4 pins right next to the front IO headers and the one at the top of the motherboard next to the RAM slots are fan headers for one case fan and a CPU fan. The CPU fan header is the one at the top.

The 2 white and 1 black ports on the bottom right are SATA ports for your HDDs and SSDs - one color should be SATA 3 and one SATA 2, if I'm not mistaken, so if you are using an SSD test booting from both port colors to see which one is faster. If you are using HDDs this is not a problem.

The yellow port on the bottom left is the HD audio port, this is where the front HD Audio labeled connector plugs in. The AC 97 connector that may also be there is not used.

The 2 black ports between the 24 pin port and the SATA ports are where your front USB connectors plug in.

Apparently, some people have had problems with the PC not detecting a power sensor on start-up since power sensors are all on the X-51 case's internal PSU, and displaying a warning when booting so to get around this go into the BIOS and turn off error reporting.

Here is a diagram that shows where some of the ports:

woq2en6eqjt32hezg.jpg

Please not that some ports like the USB ports and the top fan header are not shown.

Also, since the 760t has 2 front USB 3.0 ports, this will cause a problem since your motherboard does not have any USB 3.0 headers. You'll need to get a converter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Internal-19-Pin-Adapter-G11303050-RT/dp/B00B1RM5YU/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449674667&sr=1-5&keywords=usb+2+to+usb+3+converter

to get them to work, otherwise you won't be able to use the blue USB 3.0 ports on the front of your case. This converter plugs into one of the black USB ports between the 24 pin port and the SATA ports. Then you'll be able to plug in the USB 3.0 connector from your case to get all of the front ports to work. However, keep in mind that even the blue USB 3.0 ports will function at slower USB 2.0 speeds.

EDIT: Here is a color code for the front IO connectors:

fp_header.jpg

Keep in mind though that they may be different for your motherboard. Trial and error is the only way to get them to work if the colors are different.

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Will I need to use different sata cables? I noticed the original cable that plugs into my hdd is is wider then the sata cables that come with my power supply, the ones that come with my power supply only plug in into the wider opening and then the other half is left open.

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
So I performed the swap and it went well, I ran video thru the motherboard and everything worked great. The only issue I ran into was the graphics card the 980 is to big and it hits the connectors, will a riser help? Within situation.
Code:

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I installed the riser and it works great,its just a little snug, I do get the power sensor fault at start up, but other then that everything works great, my 980 gtx is running ice cold compared to what it was running on the x51 case.

Chayan4400

Honorable

Good to hear! I can now refer people with similar questions to this thread. As always, if you have any further questions or problems post back or start another thread :).

Kappa909

Commendable
May 15, 2016

I am soon going to be doing what your did but with a corsair 400c. Did you use the motherboard that was with your x51 r2 or did you buy a new one?

dmgp1

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Yes I used the mother board that came with the x51 and I use the hard drive. I also removed the wireless antenna and mounted that into my 760t. The only thing I needed to purchase was a pci e riser for the graphics card, I don't remember how long It is, I believe it was 8 inches long and kindve wouldve preferred a little longer.
So basically all I changed was the graphics card to a gtx980, I purchased 1000w power supply, and I purchased the riser for the graphics card.
I'm still running it. I have had no issues, I run triple monitors with out a problem.

Code:
[quote][spoiler][/spoiler][/quote]

Kappa909

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Because there is no removable io shield on the x51 r2, have you ran into any problems there?
And later in the year i will get a gtx 970, do you think that will need a riser?
Currently when i build the pc i will have a gtx 760 ti, would that need a riser too?